Not sure if I have any sex drive.

Moderator: talkhealth

1 post
jheron2000

by jheron2000 on Sat Aug 26, 2023 3:19 pm

Not sure if I have any sex drive.

This is going to be quite a long post, but it basically boils down to one question. TLDR, Is it possible to go through ones life without having any sex drive whatsoever, and not actually realise it? Losing ones sex drive I can see as something that one would notice, however if you have never had it, how would you know how it feels to have an actual sex drive. A rather poor analogy would be that of color blindness, how would you know you were color blind unless you were tested?

So now I will begin by talking about myself and how I came to ask this question. Some history first of all. I went through most of my teenage years with no sexual desires at all, I did not discover masturbation until I was 18, and that was more out of curiosity than out of a need for release. I would masturbate almost daily for a while whether I needed to or not (no matter how much or how little I masturbated, I never actually “needed” to) Masturbation was as far as my sexual experiences went until I was about 30.

Up until this point I did not see anything wrong, I could get erections, even though it took manual stimulation to achieve them. It was VERY rare I would get random erections although I did used to get morning wood. I was able to ejaculate too, and for those reasons I did not think anything was wrong with me, at least with regards to sexual function. I tried sleeping with a few men, but they could not get me aroused but I put that down to me not being that attracted to them. The majority of men that I end up fancying always turn out to be straight.

I did think I might be asexual at one point, but the thing is I do want sex with guys, and I do find guys attractive so I don’t think it can be that, but I have a feeling that sex drive is more than just wanting to have sex with someone.

I also suffer from epilepsy, I was diagnosed at 11 years old but it was not until recently that I found out that epilepsy can have an effect on sex drive too. I am disappointed that it is something that was never checked up on as I was growing up, maybe if it had been caught early then something could have been done about it, but sexual development seems to be something that is never checked up on nowadays, it seems like something that should be checked up on since sex is pretty important.

I did go and see my GP sometime ago after I noticed a reduction on sensitivity of my penis. He suggested reducing some of me anti-epilepsy meds. I have come off one completely and reduced another by half but there has been no noticeable change. He said to me there is not much he can do with regards to sensitivity. He did test my testosterone levels, and tested for some other things too, a lot of which I don’t remember but they all came back normal.
It has come to the point where it is not just about my sexual health anymore, it is having a negative impact on my mental health too, which I am certain affects what little sex drive I have.

If there is something wrong with me, I am pretty sure its too late to do anything about it, but I am curious to hear what peoples thoughts are.