Vitiligo

The main cause of skin cancer is exposure to sunlight and sunbeds. Ask our experts all about skin cancer prevention and staying safe in the sun including questions about applying the correct sunscreens, wearing UV protective clothing or staying out of the sun.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Basil

by Basil on Mon May 21, 2012 1:24 pm

Vitiligo

Hi - i have vitiligo and wonder if there are any extra precautions i should take on the areas that are affected? I have it mostly on my arms although have some patches in other places. I usually use a self tanning moisturiser to even the appearance up through the summer but i don't tend to use much sun protection other than a hat. Thanks

Nurse Saskia Reeken

by Nurse Saskia Reeken on Mon May 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Re: Vitiligo

Hi Basil,
really important to protect the vitiligo patches they vulnerable to burning. Using a tanning cream can help to even the appearance but this does not offer protection ( we would advise at least factor 30 check for UVA protection - star rating on back as well). Also if you do not protect the skin around the vitiligo patches, the skin will darken making the patches more obvious.Hope that answers your question. best wishes saskia

2 posts