Staring

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

8 posts
MooMoo

by MooMoo on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:27 pm

Staring

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced stares and judging looks from people when they go out with their children. My son who is two and a half has bad eczema on his arms, legs and face, and with the warm weather at the moment these are all on show. But I find that when we go out I get horrible judgemental looks from people who seem to be thinking that I'm not looking after him properly, or that he looks neglected. Its so upsetting as people cannot possibly understand what we go through on a daily (and nightly) basis to try and help him and yet I almost feel like cowering when we go out. I'm starting to wonder if I imagine some of it but its really starting to upset me. I know I'm easily upset now with a combination of sleep deprevation, stress, and pregnancy hormones. People just seem to automatically assume the worst.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: Staring

Totally agree. For some reason eczema makes you feel like public property. It is shocking. No one would say to a teenager to sort their spots out so what right do they have to comment on us/our babies/kids. Maybe it they don't know what it is. My son gets so so upset with questions in school as to why he's wearing gloves even in the summer. Then this week he has gone to school in wet wraps. The teacher with my sons agreement explained what they were. There were then no question and only 1 nasty comment. I now think a question or look is ignorance and a question is not as hurtful as a look. If we all speak up for eczema then more folk will understand it. Everything is about education. Gosh I've come a long way. A few years ago someone asked if my son had face paint on as his skin so red!!! I wanted to punch her and hurt her back this was my suffering child she was making flip comments about. Now I realise she just had NO IDEA.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Pencoll

by Pencoll on Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:07 am

Yes and it's annoying and upsetting, my son has no problem thank the lord going to school in gloves, bandages. I too have had many encounters from public and health professionals I have been stopped in the street you name it I've been stopped and questioned. I've even been acussed of burning him with cigarettes disgusting I know. Yes I used to get very upset not now I stand and explain but also point out their ignorance and make them feel terrible! Yes I know not everyone is pointing and being nasty ect, but please it's a child not a monster!

Becky Dennis

by Becky Dennis on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi Moo Moo
You're not alone, as the others have said. Yes we get comments too. I was asked today what is that rash on my 3 year old. People have also said 'oh has she got chicken pox'. And i have had those kind of sympathetic stares when people go to take a closer look at the baby. Some days i want to shout at them. But i tend to say 'it's eczema' then feel all emotional inside. And wish they'd GO AWAY!!
Hope you're ok
b

Heidijo

by Heidijo on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:43 pm

i know just how u feel my son as a baby had big red splotches on his trunk and a face that looks as if it was burnt, we used to take him swimming each week as this seemed to dry it out as long as we showered well afterwards, but some of the looks we got were amazing no one actual said anything to us but u could see them loking and talking, we just ignored them it is their problem not ours he was not infectious. people r rude on every level and i hope my children have been brought up to accept people r not all the same and that is ok.

yorkie2703

by yorkie2703 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi
Yes like many of you we have experanced and still do with our daughter the comments/looks. I don't mind the kids who ask but it's the adults.
I went food shopping one day and a little boy asked my daugher what was wrong with her, she smiled and just told him she has eczema. But his mummy came over and dragged him away as if he was going to catch something. Normally I would say something but on that day I was so upset that I went out to my car and cried. We had been struggling for weeks to get her eczema under control so I was exhusted to fight back as such.
My daughter starts school in September , I am so worried for her.

But I am trying to remain positive and strong for her.
Fiona

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Hi
My daughter also starts school in September. I went into school today to set up in advance her skin/eczema needs/creams. Have you done this? Being prepared and having creams that stay in school is vital.

Anna
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

yorkie2703

by yorkie2703 on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi Anna
Yes I went into the school and discussed in lenght her eczema and allergies.
As my son already gones there they pretty much know already about my daughter but i waned a meeting to discuss this in full.
I am sure she will be fine it's me.

fiona

8 posts