infected eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

10 posts
bexter

by bexter on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:40 am

infected eczema

my 3 year old daughter has had pretty severe eczema since she was 6 months old..its never been perfectly under control but at the moment shes having a terrible lfare up...every single part of her body except her nose palms and soles of feet....its weeping sore cracked and smells!. the flare up started after a nasty bout of phnuemonia last month..while being treated they gave her iv cortisone and strong anti biotics and by the time she left hospital her eczema was wonderful..but within a week it was back with a vengance!...another course of anti biotics did nothing so off we went back to our gp..who took one look in horror and rang the hospital asking them to admit her for iv anti biotics...we got to the hospitalspaediatric assesment unit where a dr took a look at her..and gave us yet another course of anti biotics..no swabs no follow up appointment!...i asked why he didnt want any swabs taken and he replied that it didnt matter because the anti biotics would clear whatever infection it was and sent her home. so anyway yesterday she finished this 3rd lot of anti biotics..and its not done a thing. shes so sore she hasnt walked for days...shes oozing weeping and covered in crusty scabs! she hasnt slept for longer than 30 minutes at a time in a week! we are all exhausted!. today ive rang the community matrons...and they said ring my gp...i rang my gp and he said go back to paediatric assesment unti..i rang paediatric assesment unti and they said go to my gp...what the hell!....no ones listening..no ones bothering to look at her...i dont know what else to do :(

yorkie2703

by yorkie2703 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:59 am

Re: infected eczema

Hi Bexter
I am sorry to hear your having a bad time with your daughter’s eczema at the moment. I know it is very hard, exhausting and extremely stressful.

Like you I felt and still sometimes feel like we are being pushed from pillar to post.
The GP, Dermatologist, paediatrician, dietician would all say different things.

Keep pushing them I know it’s exhausting but keep taking her back to the hospital/ GP it’s the only way I found to make them listen.

If possible try to sleep when you can as sleep exhaustion makes things 10 times worse I know.
Good luck
fiona

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:01 pm

Hi. Go back to the hospital, the gp obviously felt it was out their treatment range. You need action so start it and stand strong. Are you under a dermatologist or just paediatric doc?
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:35 am

Definitely go back to the hospital and don't leave until they at least take swabs. To be honest it sounds like she does need to be admitted. It is a possibility that the bacteria has become resistant to the antibiotics she has been taking.

Kelly x

Jolie McShane

by Jolie McShane on Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:34 pm

So sorry for you, I have been there too. My son was covered with eczema at 3 months of age. This brings such tears to my eyes. Let me say from the bottom of my heart, there is an answer. Living the hell like you I went back to school, studied integrative nutrition and kept researching for the answer. It is not a skin problem, is a digestive issue. Check out leaky gut syndrome, the food is not properly digested and the toxins from the undigested food leaks into the blood stream and then out through the skin. Address the digestion and the skin will clear. I now specialize in allergies, eczema, and asthma. All very closely related. Research essential fatty acid deficiency, probiotics and digestive enzymes. Food is medicine.
jolie@healthmaniacs.net

yorkie2703

by yorkie2703 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:10 pm

Hi Jolie
I would agree with it being a digestive issue.
Some I can understand like with my daughter she has allergies to Wheat and Soya which are man made things but what I can't understand is she also has allergies to alot of so called natural things (Fruit)

I did research myself into essential fatty acid, probiotics and digestion but it's like a mine field. With lots still not confirmed it's hard to make a judgmental choice what to do.

The essential fatty acid is hard to get your head around? and what is the best dosage for a young child?
fiona

bexter

by bexter on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:54 pm

thanks for the replies everyone.
i just kept ringing everyone until someone took me seriously and got me an appointment for the day after with a dermatology nurse at the hospital. during the night her temperature shot up and she was sick. we got to the hospital early in the morning and the nurse took one look and ran for the consultant. my daughter was going into septic shock..weve spent 2 weeks in hospital. i dread to think what would have happened if i hadnt taken her that day. iv anti biotics ,steroids , pottassium permanganate baths, endless creams and she was on the mend....she looked the best we had ever seen her when we left hospital..but within the last few days its creeping back...weve had to start all over again but with oral anti biotics this time and im doing the baths and creams. im realy interested in this digestive issue you mention...you see my daughters also been having to have blood transfusions every 3 months as she just doesnt seem to absorb iron from a normal diet or even her iron medicine..im wondering if theres a conection! x

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:34 pm

I know there is a link of low iron to itching which could be making the scratch/itch cycle worse thus leading to infection.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Warz

by Warz on Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:32 am

Bexter, Sorry for your little girl. I have eczema as well but not severe. My brothers little twin girls age 4 have it bad with scars already. I got a bottle of spray from my buddy that is manufactured here in Oregon and is all natural. It cured me and best it cured my brothers kids. The only sign of them having it is the pigment damage of white skin.
The product is called CEED Email me and I will try to get you a sample or find a contact for you to get some.
Warren
warrenburk@yahoo.com

chelle36

by chelle36 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:22 am

Jimbob wrote:Definitely go back to the hospital and don't leave until they at least take swabs. To be honest it sounds like she does need to be admitted. It is a possibility that the bacteria has become resistant to the antibiotics she has been taking.

Kelly x
How dreadful that they are treating your daughter in this way. I have gone through the same thing with my daughter and you have to be persistent. Go back to the hospital and insist that they admit her and give her the correct treatment she needs to get the condition under control.
I know how tiring and stressful this time is for you all. Keep me posted on how you are getting on.

Stay strong.
Chelle36

10 posts