Elidel ~ pimecrolimus ~ side effects/risks

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
Carolinevn

by Carolinevn on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:52 pm

Elidel ~ pimecrolimus ~ side effects/risks

My 15 month old son has just been prescribe elidel. I have just read up on the side effects, I am quite worried about the potential side effects. Has anyone found any newer information that gives evidence the risk are unfounded?

The medical professionals didn't mention any side effects at all.

Any information gratefully received.

Thanks

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:47 am

Re: Elidel ~ pimecrolimus ~ side effects/risks

Hi

Only heard from dermatologist that from a recent conference attended early this year, no evidence that point to cancer.. so dermatologists are still prescribing it. Extracted from my blog, some pros and cons of such topical calcineurin inhibitor:

"Various studies have been conducted on Protopic, and it appears to be more effective than low-potency steroid creams. The other advantages over steroid creams is that it doesn’t cause skin thinning and therefore can be used on parts of other where skin is generally thinner, such as the face, eyelids and neck. However, as it suppresses the immune system, there’s increased risk of viral infection, in particular from herpes/ eczema herpeticum/ chickenpox/ shingles virus. Skin burning and itching sensations are the most common side effects (usually in its initial use) of using Protopic. It is also possible to be allergic to tacrolimus or other ingredients in Protopic, such as mineral oil and paraffin..."

Take care Caroline,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

2 posts