hlp poorly baby nd advice

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
sezzel84

by sezzel84 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:56 pm

hlp poorly baby nd advice

My 1yr son suffers with eczema but this morning he has woke up with bad rash and spots took him to docs and bn told its a realy bad case of infected eczema they have put him on antibiotics, and iv bn told if it dnt get Btr or worse he will have to be addmited to hospital! My lil dude is really unsettled n screaming its horrible, what cud set this off, wat wil hospital do? N Wats the best cream to put on it. I have no support on this so cud really do with some n friendly advice. Tia x

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:27 am

Re: hlp poorly baby nd advice

Hi Tia,

Sorry to hear about this, but infected eczema that is extensive is dangerous, and thus warrant a hospital visit. I've done a Q&A with a doc, and asked about the various stages of infection, extract below, see if can help you a lil
Symptoms – skin turns painful, warm to touch/tenderness, swelling. This is a sign of a skin infection and needs to be seen by a doctor soon. If there is fever, this is something that a doctor should be notified about and an oral antibiotic should be started. It probably does not require a visit to an emergency room, but it should be called to the attention of a doctor who would evaluate the severity and might recommend that the patient be seen. These infections can arise at any time during the course of the disease.

Symptoms – infected area is filled with pus/blister/boil. As above, this is a sign of an infection and should be treated with an antibiotic. These are usually localized, but may require drainage. A caregiver should be notified who will prescribe a regimen such as applying warm compresses, topical antibiotics and possibly oral antibiotics. Generally, the patient should be seen soon and a culture performed. This is not usually an emergency, but if there is fever or redness that is spreading like above, it might require more urgent attention than a follow-up in a clinic.

Symptoms – lymph node on neck or armpit becomes protruding/ sore. This is also another sign of infection and would generally be treated like cellulitis. This is not usually an emergency, but would require antibiotics and culture.

Symptoms – fever/ chills, low blood pressure. This is a sign of a serious systemic infection, and the patient should be taken to an emergency room by an ambulance. This could be a manifestation of Toxic Shock Syndrome, which can be caused by some forms of Staph, or could possibly be necrotizing fasciitis, which might need emergency surgery.

Take care, you can find out more about staph bacteria infection under my blog, tag 'staph bacteria', can't link it here due to forum policy,
hugs,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi Tia

It sounds like your son's eczema is quite severely infected and is in a lot of discomfort. Has he got a temperature? If so this could be a sign that the infection has gone systemic and he may need IV antibiotics to get on top of the infection sooner. Did they take a swab at the doctors so that they know what bacteria they are dealing with? What do the spots look like? The only other thing that bothers me is that it could be eczema herpeticum which looks like little fluid filled spots and often is in clusters. My son has had this and they can become very poorly quickly. I don't mean to worry you and the only reason I mention this is that it was missed by a doctor the first time my son had it and he did become very poorly in just a few hours and was admitted to hospital. None of this is medical advice of course as I am not in the medical professional. Please keep a close eye on him and if you are worried about him for any reason then don't hesitate to get him checked again.

Kelly

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:22 am

How is your little boy? I hope he is starting to improve. It is so hard seeing your children so uncomfortable and in pain.

Kelly

4 posts