Dog allergy and eczema?

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

6 posts
Nicholastersigni

by Nicholastersigni on Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:30 am

Dog allergy and eczema?

Hi there,

My sister and her dog moved in with me about three months ago..

About a week or two after the move in, I noticed random patches of very itchy hives all over my body.

Now it's taken a turn for the worse. My hand and feet are covered with very itchy bumps that are sometimes fluid-filled.

I've done research and it sounds like a form of eczema. Possibly dyshidrotic eczema or contact dermatitis..

I don't know, but I really need help. I've tried over the counter eczema lotions and antihistamines.. But im still around the dog dander, so nothing is really working. It seems to be getting worse.

Could this be the dog or do I have a more serious problem with my skin. Could this be an allergic reaction?

The dog is moving out February..

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:57 am

Re: Dog allergy and eczema?

Hello there,

Thank you for your post. It does sound as though the pet dander is causing these symptoms. Is it localised to the hands and feet now, after the initial full body patches?

From what you have described, my initial thought was pompholyx (also known as dyshidrotic eczema) http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/pompholyx/ ... ction.aspx. My advice would be to apply a good quality emollient such as hydromol/ epaderm ointment as frequently as possible throughout the day. You can also wash with this.

Using a mild steroid cream too, such as over the counter hydrocortisone cream twice a day for 5 days, will help get your skin complaint under control, reduce inflammation and itchiness.

Vacuuming as much as possible and damp-dusting surfaces will help get rid of pet dander which may be causing this problem for you.

If it is very severe, you could try wearing cotton gloves whilst in house to minimise any contact with the dander.

I hope this advice is useful - do let me know what works for you.

Kind regards,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

Nicholastersigni

by Nicholastersigni on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:32 pm

Hi Justine,

Thanks so much for your reply!

It is now localised at my feet and hands. Mostly my feet and lower legs. Although I'm still itchy in random areas of my body.

When it first began, it was hives (random patches) all over. But I was touching the dog, laying with dog etc.. Not knowing I was allergic. After no physical contact with the dog, now it appears to be symptoms of what you mentioned. So it kind of shifted. First hives, now possibly something else.

The dog is moving out in March. If it is in fact the dander. Will I get better? Am I causing any permanent damage by being around the dander for months now?

I just wish I knew for sure it was the dog. Because I don't want a life long skin condition. Especially one with symptoms of constant itching.. Mentally, its doing harm.

I've read alot about skin conditions. And it seems like psoriasis and eczema come and go.. Like in phases. My itching started when the dog moved in months ago. And hasn't gone away..

Anymore information you can give will be greatly appreciated.. Thank you so much again

Nicholas
nicholastersigni@gmail.com

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:11 am

Dear Nicholas,

Unfortunately the only way I can think of to really know if it is the pet dander is to either move the dog out for a period of time and see if your condition improves, or for you to move out to test this hypothesis! If it is the dander then your symptoms should clear up. In terms of long term damage, as long as you look after the skin and do not scratch it, there should be nothing permanent. Applying emollient frequently all over the body will help protect the skin.

I really do feel that because you are not experiencing much relief, you would benefit from a full review, either with your local pharmacist or GP. I am concerned you say that the itching and eczema is causing you mental harm. They will be able to look at your medication, discuss how you use the creams and look at your symptoms in much more detail. They will also be able to recommend suitable alternative products and check you are using your creams efficiently.

The 'medicines review' is a free and confidential NHS service offered by most pharmacies. If the pharmacist feels you would benefit from visiting the GP, they will refer you.

I would also just like to take this opportunity to ensure that you are continuing to use a good emollient cream all over your body, not just the problematic areas? Ointments, although greasy, penetrate the skin better during flare ups. Something like epaderm ointment, hydromol ointment or doublebase gel would do the job. We always recommend that you apply the cream in the direction of hair growth at least once daily, if not more frequently. We also recommend to smooth the cream on in downward strokes, not rub it in vigorously. By applying the cream this way it will avoid further irritation. Emollients can also be used as soap substitutes, so perhaps this is a better option for you when you wash your face or have a shower?

As I mentioned previously, your pharmacist may also be able to recommend a mild steroid cream which you apply twice daily for approximately 5 days, to help bring this flare up under control. I recommend you use this with a good quality emollient, applying the emollient first, then the steroid cream 10 minutes after.

Some of my patients find that wet wrapping is a useful technique for when their flare ups are bad. Bandaging helps the skin absorb the emollient better, reduces itchiness and makes the skin more comfortable. For more information on wet wrapping, see the National Eczema Assoc's website http://nationaleczema.org/eczema/treatm ... wet-wraps/ You might like to speak to your GP if you might like to try this technique for your lower legs. You could also cover your hands and feet in emollient and wear cotton gloves and socks - this has a similar effect.

I really would recommend a visit to your pharmacy as they will be able to look at all your symptoms and check the history of the eczema and your treatments with you. In the meantime, the National Eczema Society may provide you with some more useful information. You can access their website from this address: http://www.eczema.org/

I hope this is of some use to you and that you manage to get your eczema under control soon,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

Nicholastersigni

by Nicholastersigni on Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:22 am

Hi Justine,

Thank you so much! You've been so helpful in providing the information I need to get this under control. I will try these techniques and post an update soon to let you know what worked!

PS, Benydryl allergy pills help. Is this an indication im suffering from an allergy? I was thinking yes..

Thanks again!
Nicholas

johnnn10

by johnnn10 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:31 pm

For skin related problems regular sun bath is very useful.
-----------------------
[ url=http://www.ezdia.com/epad/water-filter- ... stem/6864/]

WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION[/url]

6 posts