Aqueous Cream Warning

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

27 posts
longterm

by longterm on Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:56 pm

Re: Aqueous Cream Warning

hi im longterm i believe contained in this aqueous cream is a chemical known as sodium lauryl sulphate SLS for short i believe its also used in car degreasers floor cleaners a detergent really its used for its lathing properties what ive found being a 52yr sufferer with excema it irritates the skin i believe this is why young children have nicknamed it the stinging cream because i believe it can make the skin sting on application i believe it also can affect the hairs on the legs ive used it in the past and found if it didnt make the condition worse it didnt do anything forthe condition so it was a waste to use in the first place im not a medic just a long sufferer of excema i dont want to scare you just want to help

janet james

by janet james on Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:29 pm

I was recommended to use this on my young child, it had a negative effect, it made her skin sensitive, red and sore. Def didnt do what it said on the tin!

Markoos

by Markoos on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Wow, this has been my daily moisturiser for years and years, i've always found it a bit too greasy but have not found another that is man enough to really sort out my skin.

I'm testing aloe gel at the moment but that seems to make my skin tighter rather than more supple. I will research the moisturiser section on here a bit more and then go shopping.

Thanks for the link :-)

longterm

by longterm on Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:11 am

im longterm,ive suffered with excema for 52 years aqueous creams should NOT BE USED THEY CONTAIN AN INGREDIENT THAT MAKES THE CONDITION WORSE ITS PUT IN THE CREAMS BECAUSE IT LATHERS WELL THE PROBLEM WE HAVE IS THAT IT IS KNOWN BY A NUMBER OF NAMES I HAVE BEEN INFORMED THAT THE INGREDIENT USED IS ALSO USED IN FLOOR CLEANERS

MarcieMom

by MarcieMom on Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:26 am

Aqueous creams that contain emulsifying ointment, paraffin and preservatives may be ingredients that one can be allergic to. It has been recommended by doctors for many years until recent years, when it appears to be less recommended.

If you're an adult, you can go for patch test; then you know which ingredients you're allergic to. If you're in US, even easier, because there's a CARD system that tracks which product contains what, so even easier for you to choose the products that don't contain what you're allergic to.
http://eczemablues.com/2012/02/sensitiv ... atch-test/

Before scaring ourselves and jumping to which product is bad, an easier way would be to learn to read product label. Not so simple, but worth it to learn the basics - like ingredients, top allergens, meaning behind key terms. You can see the sensitive skin product series I'm currently running to learn more.

Thanks!
Marcie Mom
twitter me @MarcieMom
Visit my blog, eczemablues.com

PaulHerts

by PaulHerts on Sun May 13, 2012 6:55 pm

I was using this horrible cream for years when I was younger and it's no wonder I rarely had an improvement with my eczema. Using this alongside Menetmasone Furate steroid cream for such a long period of time (about 10 years) i'm sure has made my eczema worse.
Unbeliveable the total lack of understanding from gp's about eczema. Even now. When I was last at the docs about an unrelated issue she saw my hands and wanted to prescribe me a steroid cream, I told her I wasn't interested as I'd been on that downhill road for a long time and was using other natural (or less synthetic) products now.
She asked what I was using, I told her that I find Hemp cream to be quite effective, she laughed...Unbeliveble!

27 posts