long term protopic??

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

11 posts
AnnaB

by AnnaB on Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Protopic and/or Steroids

Hi
Everything I read is about Protopic being an alternative to using strong steroids. Yet my son is using steroids and protopic one in the morning the other at night. Is anyone else using both creams. I have strong trust in our dermatologist but it really would put my mind at rest to know others are doing the same. He is now 6 years old and his hands go through such a tough and painful time with the extensive use of Dermovate and protopic I worry what more his little fingers can take.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

sf34_22

by sf34_22 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Protopic and/or Steroids

Anna I'm sorry I can't help with the Protopic but I was suffering agonies with my feet in spite of all of the usual steroids, Eparderm etc. I'm now using the nappy cream bepanthem which is thick and quite greasy on application but it's working wonders, perhap's this may help your little boy's hands.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:25 pm

I has read about someone using this before maybe even one of your posts. I have it in the house for my daughter so had thought about trying it. I think I may try one hand and see what happens.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Today I have started the bepanthen on one of my sons hands to see how it affects him. It took him a while to let me use it on his hands and his sister was not pleased to let him use her cream, i'll keep you posted how we get on. Everything is crossed.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

sf34_22

by sf34_22 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:41 pm

I hope it helps Anna.

franktom

by franktom on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:12 am

Hi Anna,

You have been saying that your son is taking protopic along with some steroids. Please see to that if the steroid interacts with protopic. You will find the drugs that interact with protopic at http://www.internationaldrugmart.com/protopic.html

goldfinger

by goldfinger on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:47 am

i use protopic with dermovate (only use dermovate on bad flair ups) and it works very well , was prescribed to me by a dermatologist!

goldfinger

by goldfinger on Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:57 am

Protopic & Long Term Use

i am 18 years old and have had eczema basically all my life. when i was 10 i was prescribed protopic, and was on it (on and off) for about 5 or 6 years. then my mother decided it was a good idea for me to have a break from all prescription drugs so for about a year and a half i used nothing (this resulted in a massive, dreadful flare up that absolutely took over my life. mothers, please do not do this!) then last year i went back to my dermatologist and once again was prescribed protopic, within a week my eczema was better and for the past year i've been virtually eczema free. but i am using about 120g of protopic a week, and i am just worried that maybe it IS too much?! im wondering if anyone else is using so much of it? i have tried weening myself off it, and usually i can manage on about 60g a week, but any less and i flare up again. with my skin so clear it is hard to think of the possible consequences of long term use in a negative way!!

itchyhippy

by itchyhippy on Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:08 pm

Protopic?

hey everyone
i have been prescribed protopic and i've heard that there are a lot of mixed responses to it. just wanted to get your thoughts on it, weather it worked for you or not.
look forward to hearing from you

eczemawarrior

by eczemawarrior on Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:44 am

Re: long term protopic??

hey all,
I was prescribed protopic last summer (august 2009) after I had a bad flare up on my upper lip. (the area between the nose and the lips). It was infected and I needed two 10-day doses of antibiotics to calm it down..
I used protopic for the areas of my face that were affected by eczema/steroid induced rocsea. The ointment is an immunosuppressent (tacrolimus) and it basically suppresses your immune system to inhibit it from reacting to whatever your body is reacting too. (haha, sorry for the self-explanatory explanation).
After using it for a year, I decided to stop because it seemed like a short-term solution.. After using the ointment once, my skin would calm down- but I would have to use it 3 days after that and on and on and on. Without the ointment, the skin on my face wouldn't be normal.
In my opinion, seeing a naturopath/any other alternative medicine is a better idea because you will find a long-term solution. It may take longer and require is lifestyle change, but I think it's worth it.
I started a blog a couple of days ago reaching out to other people who have eczema..it can be hard at times, and support is what you need!
Feel free to check it out!
eczemawarrior.wordpress.com

Happy healing!

11 posts