BPD and therapy options

If you have questions about depression then please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Creamms

by Creamms on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:56 pm

BPD and therapy options

Hi,

I was told I have Borderline Personality Disorder last year, which I am slowly recovering from in regards of the harmful behaviour on the road to hopefully get therapy. I am very insightful of my past and aware of my emotions at any given moment of time. I named the voice in my head as Keith to differ that part of me from me. I work well with 'theories' - for example last person I spoke to suggested to me Keith was a child part of me wanting to be comforted; relating to the need to harm myself (ego states).

Would you say CBT is really the way to move forward as it's behaviour/here and now based rather than having the opportunity to understand past events properly to overcome them and accept them?

Dr Gary Jackson

by Dr Gary Jackson on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: BPD and therapy options

CBT can be helpful. Dialectic Behaviour Therapy even more so. Not that easy to find but do make enquiries within your local mental health services.
Dr Jackson
Dr Gary Jackson - Consultant Psychiatrist
M.B.B.Ch., F.R.C.Psych

Creamms

by Creamms on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:58 pm

I did DBT a couple of years ago and really didn't get on with it as I found far too clinical - I felt like I was being told how I felt as suppose to being able to be open about what was really going on.

Dr Gary Jackson

by Dr Gary Jackson on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:12 am

Sounds like you have tried hard to work at it. Do keep using the strategies that do help, of course. No doubt you will get better at managing as time goes by. As you have identified, there are no specific treatments for your condition - its all about symptom management as best can be achieved.
GJ
Dr Gary Jackson - Consultant Psychiatrist
M.B.B.Ch., F.R.C.Psych

4 posts