Pompholyx - so debilitating!

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

1 post
rach2250

by rach2250 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:14 pm

Pompholyx - so debilitating!

Hi all

New to this, but thought Id post as maybe raising awareness of this and through us supporting each other, things can improve? Maybe Im just being optimistic!

Just going through my first episode of Pompholyx. I cannot even begin to describe to people who don't know about it, the extent of how debilatating it is! As I type, my hands are drying out (which Im told by GP is a good sign?) and cracking! I have had blisters the size of a 50p covering my palms, have felt like someone has poured petrol on them and my feet & ignited it! My sleep is so disturbed Im not quite sure how Im functioning.... Was prescribed antibiotics and two types of cream (Betnovate then Dermovate), bought myself cotton gloves and emollient - but nothing seemed to calm it down initially - until Id used the Dermovate for two days. There is such little information available about how to treat this, but maybe I was expecting a fairy to pop out of the tube with a magic wand. In the end, "giving in" to it may have helped!

I have never suffered with this before, only(!) eczema on my legs and underarms which came about after a messy emotional time a couple of years ago. Have never suffered with bad skin or this previous to this.

I wish I knew what had triggered this - am hoping to be referred, but maybe Ill never know. Maybe Ill never get it again?! Who knows! (If anyone has any advice on how to prevent it, or prevent it getting worse if it does flare up, Id be very grateful!).

The most hurtful thing is people's lack of understanding, asking if its contagious or commenting on how horrific my hands look and can I hide them! One family member wouldnt even let me help prepare some food (cutting a packet open) as she thought it was "gross" and "wouldnt eat anything Ive touched".

Anyway, will sign off now as hands are quite sore typing. Hope you all manage to get some form of relief too.

Rach