In the family

If you have questions about heart disease please post them here ready for our experts to answer from 5 Dec 2012.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
LaurenHW

by LaurenHW on Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:44 pm

In the family

Hello - I am only 25 years old, but have recently been made aware of heart disease in my family. On my fathers side, his father had a bad heart and died - and think it was from a heart attack but it was before I was born. Now I think my father also has a problem, but neither he or my mother will talk with me about it properly and I don't feel I can ask too many questions. I was talking to a friend the other day and she said I should go and see a doctor myself to make sure that I am okay. Please can you tell me what you think I should be doing now - should I go to the doctor? Thanks

ferguson1918

by ferguson1918 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:59 am

Re: In the family

HI Lauren
I am not medically qualified but have a heart condition that sometimes can be inherited, dilated cardiomyopathy, although mine was apparently caused by a virus.

However to be on the safe side my consultant has suggested I advise my son to get checked out.

So I do sympathise with your concerns re your family history.

You really need to find out if the heart conditions your family suffer from can be inherited and this is difficult if your parents are not comfortable discussing this with you, although I suspect if it was inherited they would be advised by their doctor to tell you.

If you are concerned then I guess a chat with your own GP would be the best route to go down and hopefully they will be able to reassure you.

Dr Dermot Neely

by Dr Dermot Neely on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:26 am

Re: In the family

I agree you should discuss your concerns with your GP. It would certainly help to know more about the heart conditions which have affected your relatives, but inherited high cholesterol is the commonest cause of early heart disease in families and your GP can easily arrange for this to be checked in your case. Visit the HEART UK web site for more information on inherited high cholesterol.
Dr Dermot Neely
Consultant in Clinical Biochemistry and Metabolic Medicine

3 posts