Genital Eczema

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

21 posts
lunatichypocrit

by lunatichypocrit on Tue May 20, 2008 7:33 pm

How to treat eczema in groin area?

In January I developed quite bad eczema just below the small of my back, between my buttocks. It ended up bleeding and becoming infected but I've managed to heal it up by taking regular showers and applying Germolene and Evening Primrose Oil. However, for the past 4 months I've been getting it on and off in different areas around my groin...on the inside of my thigh, between my buttocks..and perineum area and around my anus...it keeps coming back and never completely goes...I have tried to think of something which may be irritating it, but I'm not using any washing powder or shower gel that I've never used before. I did get it between my fingers but as soon as I switched hand soap it went away on its own.
I have often had mild eczema behind my ears and hands, but evening primrose oil usually clears it up. However it doesn't seem to be completely solving it around my groin area. I don't want to have to go to the doctors because of the embarassment, but I'll have to if the problem doesn't resolve soon. But is there anything I can use to treat the eczema in those areas?? Does anyone have any suggestions to what may be causing it?? I usually wear cotton underwear but lately I have been wearing nylon...I didn't realise that nylon could actually aggrivate eczema that much so do you think it's possible that this could be the cause??

lindapatrick

by lindapatrick on Wed May 21, 2008 9:35 am

Re: how to treat eczema in groin area?

Hi
Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, as we are not medically qualified, we are unable to give any specific medical advice. However, I would urge you to see your GP or Nurse Practitioner who I'm sure will be sensitive to your embarrasement. As you mention problems with cotton & nylon underwear in your post, I suggest you to look at a product on the website called DermaSilk, as we have received some very postitive feedback about its effectiveness.

Best wishes

L

Citrine

by Citrine on Wed May 21, 2008 12:24 pm

Hiya,

Its possibly the nylon not allowing the skin to breathe. Swap back to your cotton undies. Have you heard of Udderly SMooth? I use it, its fantastic stuff!
They also do a cream to prevent chaffing for cyclists, so is safe for use in the nether regions!!

Hope things get better!

lunatichypocrit

by lunatichypocrit on Wed May 21, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks for the advice :)

koko

by koko on Wed May 21, 2008 8:53 pm

i saw cottom definately!
and probably because it is in the groin area, being most hygienic is the best.
keep the bacteria from multiplying as much
good luck, be pesistent

willy851

by willy851 on Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:07 am

Re: How to treat eczema in groin area?

I have it in that area. At least that's what the doctor said. I had this problem over a year now. I never had any skin problem and now I have this problem. The area doesn't itch but it stings or burns. Nothing seems to work, to make it go away. Cortisone made it worse along with most moisturizers. When I use certain moisturizers that are typically used for eczema it will burn real bad. I have been to five different dermatologist and still don't know what is going on. The only thing I can use that doesn't burn is Vaseline. Obviously this is horrible and is destroying my life. I was a very active 43 year old male and now I can hardly walk.

Kevo00

by Kevo00 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:25 am

Penis tip eczema

Hi everyone,

I am posting here because I can't believe that I am the only person in the world to have this problem. Its quite bad because my eczema is in a somewhat private area. I'm 27, and for the last 18 months or so I have had problems with eczema just inside my urethra on the tip of my penis. I don't really have problems with it anywhere else on my body, except an occasional bit on my leg, just there, and I had problems with it on my legs when I was a kid. I do have hayfever as well though which I believe can be related? About five years ago now I had really bad problems with rashes on my hands during cold weather, but managed to get round that by wearing gloves (i'm now extra careful to wear my gloves when its cold!).

I started feeling this about 18 months ago on and off, and at first when it was on it was really bad, and felt almost like I had to pee all the time, or like a burning sensation. At best its like an itch, which it is most often now. Sometimes it goes away entirely. It hasn't affect my sex life too badly - actually if I'm itchy when I have sex it often feels better afterwards.

I was only finally diagnosed with this about a month or so ago. Basically I live in the UK, and we have some pretty stupid doctors here. I went to see two STD clinics, two different GPs, and even a urologist and got nowhere, even though you could see the rash relatively obviously at the opening, even if it is only a few millimeters across. Eventually I went to another STD clinic as the problem had gone away for a while, before recurring this autumn, quite badly for a while. There I made sure the docs saw it as clearly as possible, and I tested negative for everything (again, but its always good to be checked out I guess). It was then that they said its eczema (one doctor had told me it might be that before, but never bothered to diagnose properly) because unlike Herpes etc the rash was actually part of the skin. They said that I shouldn't worry that it is a big problem, though I may never be free of it, and gave me some Daktacort cream which includes 2% miconazole nitrate and 1% hydrocotisone. This cream seems to have helped to a large extent, but I'm aware that I won't be able to get round the problem to a larger extent until I work out what triggers it.

I think the main problem is probably stress and anxiety - I am a PhD student, though thankfully I am coming towards the end of my PhD now, and have obviously had to do a lot of hard work etc. I have suffered from stress related illness before to some extent - I used to feel sick before school all the time when I was a kid for example, but I don't really want to give up my career as I find it extremely fulfilling and there isn't anything else meaningful that I have the skills for. I'm really not sure if there could be any other triggers, though I think living in London doesn't help (can change that eventually, but not just yet), and I tried changing my washing powder to the sensitive skin one but with no apparent effect, and also using sensitive skin shower gel etc - I did this long before I was diagnosed. I also tried giving up caffeine (although have stayed off this and reduced my alcohol to loose weight anyway) which seemed to help for a while, but the problem came back in the end. I think stress is the best explanation as I went on a placement to Australia for a month in September/October where I had a lot of free time, and less exposure to pollution too, and I felt the best (and horniest lol) I had for ages. Back in London and the problem took off again through November.

So yes, that's my problem with eczema, and I'm posting here to see if anyone else has had any experience with something like this, or has any possible ideas. I'm determined to stay positive, because I know negativity will only make it worse - unfortunately the annoyance as a taxpayer (I do a lot of paid research work, so yes I do pay taxes!) at getting ignored by doctors doesn't help. I would go to my doctor and ask about this, but I don't think he'd do anything sensible like like refer me to a dermatologist.

Helen

by Helen on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Re: Penis tip eczema

Hi there,

I suffer with eczema all over my body, i am sorry to here your suffering, it ant be comfortable for you, the only thing i can really think of is th material of your underwear, i have to be carefull of what materials i wear on my skin, they have to be loose so they dont rub on my skin, maybe if you try and chamge the material of your underwear, or try wearing looser fitting clothing it may stop any rubbing as that can trigger eczema coming up, and wear cothing that breaths, as when yo sweat that can irritate, i hope this is some dsort of help for you :)

Helen

Kevo00

by Kevo00 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi - what would you suggest? I was thinking cotton might be a good thing to try, as most my present undies tend to be a cotton/polyester mix.

Helen

by Helen on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:17 pm

hi,

i would suggest anything 100% cotton, polyester is ok as it is simular to cotton, just try to avoid materials like nylon on your skin as these materials will make you sweat and itch. and tyr to wear loose clothing so it dont rub :)

I hope this helps you

Helen x

21 posts