Sudden Adult Ezcema

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
mint9317

by mint9317 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Sudden Adult Ezcema

It is so great to have found this forum as I have been dealing with a lot of stress working with a sudden eczema outbreak for the past few months.

I am 39 years old and am overweight. I have never had ezcema but have broke out in hives several times from shellfish but nothing out of the ordinary. I do however suspect my skin has never been very healthy as I have many scars and marks on my body and red bumps here and there. Mostly on my legs but also throughout my body.

During this past summer I got a rash on my leg and it eventually turned into a breakout of rash that spread to the other leg, my waistline, center of my back and 2 small patches on my biceps as well as a little on my left hand. I have been diagnosed with Ezcema by my doctor this week and have been put on Betaderm 0.1% as many on this forum have been using. Earlier this week I have purchased Aveeno Ezcema cleanser and itch cream and oatmeal bath kits. The oatmeal bath seems to soothe the itch. I have stopped using soaps and just recently purchased baby shampoo for my hair. I did not realize all the different products there were for ezcema.

My doctor suggests that its possible I have become allergic to the Tide detergent I have been using my whole life as my affected areas are all parts where my clothes are covering. Especially the waistline rash which seems to follow where my boxers touch my skin. I have taken Benedryl pills twice so far this week when the itching and flareups have gotten so bad I feel like I'm going crazy. I have had sudden flareups this week where it seems like hives or an allergic reaction is happening like I ate shellfish as it is sudden and super itchy along my torso and legs and the hot feeling of skin happens. Benedryl seems to calm it down and lets me sleep it off.

I have researched soap nuts are good for people with ezcema is this something people are having good progress with? I am wondering if sleeping on my couch a lot is causing me to have an allergic reaction to dust mites or something. I scheduled a blood test to see if something is wrong with my health (possibly becoming diabetic?)

If anyone has any suggestions on what to do next to tackle this horrible affliction I would appreciate it. I live in an urban area in an apartment that I have lived in for 1.5yrs now its about 1 year into living here that i have had this sudden onset Ezcema so I am not sure its because of living here or not.
--------------------
Products I purchased (Also have a Betaderm 0.1% jar that I got from Doctor)

Overnight Flareup on my left leg (this went away by the morning so must be an immediate allergic reaction possible to Betaderm?)

My right leg ezcema and battlescars, this was the origin point of my afflication and the worst area I have so far on my body:

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:49 am

Re: Sudden Adult Ezcema

Sorry to hear of the sudden onset of eczema; maybe can consider allergy testing, and if it is the clothing area, or couch, consider washing bedsheets, clothes in water more than 60 degC, and use hypoallergenic detergent. Also couch does attract lots of dustmites... either switch to leather ones that can be wiped or not have couch or consider sunning the whole couch outdoors to kill dust mite. It is possible for eczema to occur in adult, especially contact eczema.. where sensitivity develop overtime.

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

mint9317

by mint9317 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:01 am

Re: Sudden Adult Ezcema

Thank-you for your reply. I purchased a new detergent today and washed all my clothes that is supposed to be for sensitive skin (fragrance/dye free) hopefully that will help. I will be avoiding the couch and putting the rugs away so that my entire apartment is hardfloors.

I am currently writing in the middle of the night because I cannot sleep as I am having a bad allergic reaction to something in my calfs there is hives and puffiness I am wondering if I am allergic to the Betaderm that I am trying to use. The more I read about steroid creams I am thinking I should not be using it and focusing on finding my trigger.

If anyone knows if allergic reactions that come at night and go by morning is normal for people with ezcema or this might be some other health issue. I will need to ask my Doctor to have an allergy test because something is definitely setting my legs off at night.

Picture of my right back of my calf right now:
Image https://imgur.com/cY0ZyuD I think i'm going to have to take more Benedryl just to get some sleep tonight. :oops:

3 posts