Skin irritation still visible after 10 months

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

14 posts
jass2018

by jass2018 on Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:00 pm

Skin irritation still visible after 10 months

Hi,

A little backstory first. I applied a substance around the eyebrow area after using it for a few weeks without issue. However, the second tube seemed to have applied more on the brush than the first tube. Please note I stopped using the serum for 5 days and when I applied a face wash that I had no issues with in the two years of using it, I felt some sensation before bedtime.

When I reapplied the serum on the eyebrow area on the following two days I noticed it caused very bright redness.

I felt no pain, burning, blistering or itching etc just sensation at the end of the eyebrows where I could notice the skin affected most (more red and deep looking). Just different shades of redness with a scaly textured appearance and I thought it would clear up on it's own within a few days.

After 2 weeks I decided to see a doctor as the redness and slight swelling on the ends of the eyebrows failed to go or calm down sufficiently.

Initially prescribed was 50/50 paraffin and later mometasone furoate (steroid cream), and tablets which didn't help speed up the process - the colour was getting very slowly less but still red.

Prednisolone was prescribed after a few weeks and I used this for a few weeks but with no noticeable fast changes.

After 6 months I decided to see a respected dermatologist who said it should clear up and he had seen far worse. I do agree by viewing google images and articles my skin wasn't actually badly affected, it just looks irritated with two/three levels of redness/pinkness and of "blotchy" appearance. The appearance meaning where I can notice the differences in scaling - by scaling I mean very small lines/patches of redness

He believed I had steroid induced erythema because of my on/off use of creams which would have totaled a month but at the time of the appointment I felt it was always going to be the same level of redness regardless of the cream and that the cream didn't do anything good or bad but he is in a much better position to diagnose matters than I am.

So, I was prescribed a non-steroid in Elidel, and advised to apply glycerin & water twice daily as well as aveeno cream.

I had followed the instruction for a month but it was as before, very slow progress and improvements but no drastic changes.

To date, it has been 10 months and for the past few days I have not applied anything and the skin is getting to very light pink in some areas and the worst affected areas are more pink than red although the hint of red still exists.

The textured/lines/scaly appearance has been the same throughout but I am starting to notice it getting "softer" - just appears to be less deep and less red and slowly edging towards normal skin but still some way to go.

So, after all this I am hoping to get advice and reassurances.

As mentioned earlier I have applied moisturizers and other creams to the affected area but to no avail - I am not saying it won't help but it hasn't changed the speed to healing.

Reassurance that others have had contact dermatitis where the skin has become irritated and red where the skin has appeared the same for many months while the colour goes down and has eventually cleared up back to normal despite the skin being irritated for so long.

Apologies for the long-winded post and I thank you for your responses.

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:13 am

Re: Skin irritation still visible after 10 months

Sorry to hear of the reaction to the serum.. I'm not sure when it would fade but imagine that if the rash is not itchy or irritating, it should not be an active inflammation and to do with skin discoloration? Best to check with the doctor as to what recovery should look like so that you would know when to stop applying the more potent creams (meant for inflammation), i.e. if it is a scarring issue, then keep applying potent creams to treat the scar may lead to different set of skin problem?

Hope it would get better, take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

jass2018

by jass2018 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:21 am

Thanks for the reply.

From 2 weeks onward the redness has very slowly faded to a point where it's probably only noticeable if someone looked close up or if I mentioned it and the skin textures also appear more softened. I will say it's not an active inflammation and going through the healing process which unfortunately is very slow.

I have asked the question if it's scarring and the doctors said no and the dermatologist was also confident that the skin would return to normal but I do think negatively sometimes that is is scarring because the distinct lines/areas of affected skin are still there. I try to give myself reassurance of when I've had red/irritated skin between my small fingers (most likely due to cold weather and/or sensitivity to hand wash) and notice the normal layer of skin has been affected and have red lines of irritated skin which has gone down on it's own.

I have stopped applying creams although I did apply Elidel again for about 3 days which does cause a very slight sensation but since it has been 4 months since I've seen the dermatologist I am considering making another appointment but I feel it will be a quick 5 minutes and just be told it will heal and I'll end up spending a lot of money for no reason. If I was to go for free healthcare it will take weeks/months to get an appointment

Anyway I just guess I have to wait and see...

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:44 am

Thanks for the update and glad things are better. I hear you - spending the time and money seems not worth it if our concerns get brushed off in a 5-minute session. Possibly monitor, moisturize and Elidel can be used more regularly (as it is non-steroidal) but the cost is prohibitive.. take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

healthymommy82

by healthymommy82 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:35 am

My son also has a huge problem. Doctor said it's atopic dermatitis, tried different creams to help the skin. Found an article about eczema on netdoctor, may be it can help you...

jass2018

by jass2018 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:21 pm

Marcie Mom wrote:Thanks for the update and glad things are better. I hear you - spending the time and money seems not worth it if our concerns get brushed off in a 5-minute session. Possibly monitor, moisturize and Elidel can be used more regularly (as it is non-steroidal) but the cost is prohibitive.. take care!
I could post every week and say things are improving and I wouldn't be lying but unfortunately I am not as patient as before :)

I didn't mention this before but I don't think it has relevance but in July last year I had inflammation within the body and was diagnosed with proctitis which lasted about a year and I admit my diet has been bad in that I eat a lot more than I should. Therefore any advice on what foods/drinks to eat will be grateful and I could see if that would help speed up recovery.

Unfortunately my bad mood has brought on comfort eating so although I do eat a lot of dishes containing vegetables (Indian diet), I eat far too many sandwiches for example and drink a lot of milk. This may not have any bearing at all but I could test for at least a week.

jass2018

by jass2018 on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:32 pm

healthymommy82 wrote:My son also has a huge problem. Doctor said it's atopic dermatitis, tried different creams to help the skin. Found an article about eczema on netdoctor, may be it can help you...
Before I had this issue I never ever posted on skin forums so I do have to google to find out what symptoms are relating to different kinds of eczema.

Maybe some of my issues do overlap so there is no harm in posting the link and I'll have a look.

Thank you

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi Jass2018

Do have a look at our eczema support programme and online clinic for advice and helpful tips. Some of our other members have left helpful and interesting posts that you may find relevant.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

jass2018

by jass2018 on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Thank you, I have posted on another section for advice from professionals and awaiting a response in regards to advice and reassurance. I have made a follow-up appointment for the end of next week with the dermatologist but I'll cancel it if I feel there is a need to, £140 for a follow-up so I don't wish to spend a lot if I feel it'll be a very quick appointment and get the same advice as before.

I have decided not to apply anything on my skin this week and it's often frustrating as it's hard to know whether or not the Elidel/Glycerin/Aveeno cream helps because none of these have provided any quick changes and in my mind natural healing is the reason for the slow improvements.

I still take Vitamin C tablets which I've been doing for 4 months straight but I feel other food/drink intakes need to be tested but advice on the internet can often be conflicting so I will appreciate on what to have for breakfast, lunch, dinner. Breakfast could be the toughest because people say avoid bread, cereals, milk... and I guess if I must avoid bread then I must change my work lunch

As expected today, I see a positive change in regards to the colour.....so I guess until the worse areas get to a very light shade of pink then that will be the final stage.

Thanks!

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi Jass2018

Glad you've found some help on our pages, it sounds like you are dealing with things sensibly trying a trial and error system, that will narrow down what makes the flare ups worse. Do keep us posted with your journey, are you keeping a diary that you can refer back to?

Good luck and kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

14 posts