15 years of hell

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
landroval

by landroval on Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:37 pm

15 years of hell

Hi, I'm a new member of this forum. I'm 64 and my battle with Eczema and fungal infections started 15 years ago. It started with a sore foreskin. My GP diagnosed Thrush and prescribed Clotrimazole cream. I used it as instructed twice a day for 14 days, but within a month the thrush had returned. I saw my GP again who now prescribed Canesten HC. I applied this as before, but the damn scurge returned within a month. My GP gave me the same prescription, but for a 28 day course. It cleared up, but soon returned. I was also prescribed Aqueous cream, which when applied stung like hell! I was tols this was normal and it would subside.

I suffered with Phimosis a few times, so my GP suggested I may need to be circumcised. But over the course of the following months, the Eczema spread to my scrotum, groin and between my buttocks. So now a circumcision was not necessary. In the first 12 months I had 6 fungal infections. My GP tried various Topical corticosteroids. Some made things worse. Everything with Hydrocortisone was totally ineffective against Eczema. I was prescribed various emmollient creams.

My girlfriend was tested several times for Thrush and every time was negative. As a precaution we started to use condoms. But even with silicone lubricant, sex was very unfomfortable for me. Eventually we split up.

I was in agony. Walking made my groin sore, with terrible itching between my buttocks. I asked my GP to refer me to a Dermatologist. The NHS waiting time was 6 months, so I went private. On the Tuesday of the next week later I saw this Dermatologist. She listened to my symptoms and examined my groin and buttocks thoroughly. I had a patch test, which came back negative. The Dermatologist then prescribed a short course of Prednisolone tablets. After a few days it felt like my scrotum was in a vice and slowly being crushed! I rang the secretary of the Dermatologist, who was now on holiday. The secretary suggested that I should reduce the dosage, but that didn't help. By the Friday night I was in agony! I couldn't sleep and by 2am, I knew I was in trouble. I had to see an out of hours GP, who diagnosed a fungal infection. He said I should not be using steroids with a fungal infection. He gave me a prescription for an antifungal cream, but there was nowhere to get it filled until 8am. The Dermatologist was a waste of time. I saw another dermatologist on the NHS, who prescribed Protopic. But that didn't work either.

I returned to my GP. He admitted that he'd run out of ideas and didn't know what to do. I found out that a new GP at the practice had an interest in Dermatology. I saw her and she prescribed Eumovate ointment and Hydromol ointment. These were the 1st steroid and emollient that seemed to work. I was told to use it twice a day for 14 days. Then stop for 7 days, to allow my skin to heal. This regimen was mosly successful for over 10 years. Although I was still getting 2 or 3 fungal infections. I've seen numerous doctors. I was accused by one doctor of not being clean, who when I saw him next, said I wash too much. Another even suggested I should wear a Kilt.

I now have a new GP, who I think hasn't read my notes and won't prescribe Eumovate ointment. He said it's too strong for the affected area and could make the skin thin, but it isn't. I've been prescribed Timodine cream again, which surprise, surprise didn't work. I've now got to wait for 2 weeks to see a different GP.

I use dermol 200 in the shower. i used epaderm on my hands, feet and armpits. I wash my clothes with Surcare at 60 degrees C, without fabric softener. I do a normal wash and then 2 or 3 extra rinses. I wear 100% cotton boxer shorts. I turn them inside out, so the polyester stitching is on the outside. I wear baggy cotton chinos or shorts. When indoors, I'm just in my underwear.

I feel like I've slipped back to the beginning. Dating is almost impossible too. If I'm completely honest with women they run a mile. I found it better to initially say that I had sensitive skin, then slowly reveal the truth. This didn't always work. I was sometimes accused of lying, just to get them into bed.

I don't know what to do or who to ask. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone on here suggest anything?

landroval

by landroval on Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:07 am

Re: 15 years of hell

My GP will now only prescribe Hydrocortisone cream. Timodine cream made my rash worse, but at least it resolved the fungal infection. Only Clobetasone Butyrate eases my rash. As an experiment I bought 1% Hydrocortisone cream over the counter. But after a week my rash was worse again. I'm seeing a GP yet again today, I will ask them if they will prescribe 2.5% Hydrocortisone.

This may sound ridiculous, but I wonder if I'm focussing all my stress into my groin, where it manifests inself as this awful rash. Maybe I don't need a Dermatologist, perhaps I need a Psychiatrist instead?

2 posts