Eczema tips

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

1 post
johnyk83

by johnyk83 on Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:09 pm

Eczema tips

Long time eczema sufferer for 30+ years, many creams, lotions on all parts of the body. Gradually, over the years, I have tried to find solutions to the problem areas and treated each eczema episode like a trial and error experiment.
football- wear 2x cotton football socks, one sock on next to the skin, then the shin pads and then the other sock over the top. Also if its a polyester top, wear a cotton top underneath, even in hot weather. I sometimes will take an anti-allergy/ hay fever tablet 1 hour before to reduce/eliminate rashes that sometimes appear when you sweat. Don't wear sweaty goalkeeper gloves.
Shower routine- always shower before sleep, I take an anti-allergy tablet and an evening primrose tablet, shower filter to remove metals/chlorine, luke-warm water, wet your skin, add your emollient( for me is aveeno dermexa body wash) then back to shower, do not rub the skin, pat skin to remove excess water, never rub, quickly add mosituriser( for me is aveeno dermexa daily emollient cream) for top half of my body and cerave moisturiser for legs, then I use balmonds skin salvation on areas that I had a lot of problems before or anywhere that feels irritable at the time(for me is neck/arm pits/ inside elbow, inside wrists, finger, back of knees. I was using betnovate for years but would only use it now if there is a big flare, otherwise is hydrocortisone but only if it is needed, sometimes it is not.
Sleep- Keep temperature cool, no central heating, I always would keep my window open at least one hour during the day to let fresh air in. cotton bedding, long sleeve top that is not tight on the neck(v-neck), cut nails down.
day to day- when I wake up I always take an extra strength vitamin D supplement(500 NRV), 1 in spring/summer, 2 in autumn/winter. I also take a multi-vitamin tablet and I take an optibac tablet(live cultures supplement) for gut health. My diet in general is good, is homecooking, I rarely eat red meat, eat fruit and veg, do not drink alcohol, do not smoke, do not take drugs, drink lots of water that is filtered, I avoid dairy products as much as possible, I do not add sugar to anything. I vacuum regularly for dust. For washing up I first have cotton gloves on the skin and then the rubber gloves. To deal with stress, I researched breathing techniques, I also chew gum as I find it helps to alleviate pressure build up on the jaw. Inside the house I usually wear long sleeve tops as it is most comfortable for me, helps my elbows/inside elbows from being irritated. All clothes are cotton. Hope my experience can help someone!