WACHING MACHINES Health warning

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

8 posts
AnnaB

by AnnaB on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:44 pm

WACHING MACHINES Health warning

I have just watched watchdog tonight Thurs 14th April. There was a problem with a specific washing machine going mouldy and bacteria building up. They had a professor on who said all machines should be run empty with biological washing powder and at 90degrees at least once a month to kill germs and dangerous bacteria building up and getting back onto our clothes. This I thought was a very poignant for eczema sufferers. Mine will be going on a 90 degree wash in the morning.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

dirtydancing

by dirtydancing on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: WACHING MACHINES Health warning

it was the indesit moon washing machine. i do this every month as was advised to do it to prolong the life of my washing machine. Was also told the cheap biological washing powder was just as good.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Yes the indesit moon was showing the problems but the 90 degree cleaning cycle was suggested for all machines.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

klynn

by klynn on Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:10 am

With eczema, would you use the biological washing powder or just use something different?
K-lynn

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi, I think for just cleaning the machine out the biological would be ok, then a clear cycle after??
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

Heidijo

by Heidijo on Fri May 06, 2011 8:02 pm

the mould in washing machines is now they all cold fill where as before you used the hot water uot of the tank in house so the draw got hot water running through it. mine smells better from doing 90 washes.

Weasel144

by Weasel144 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:32 am

Interesting to know, I dont have a washing machine. I use the laundry mat and I can't afford to "clean" it before I wash my clothes.. but I wonder if this could be part of my problem....

8 posts