surgical myectomy

If you have questions about treatments for heart problems, angina, high blood pressure etc, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
rowland2010

by rowland2010 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:18 pm

surgical myectomy

i have HOCM and my general health has deteriated over the last year or so,so much now that i can not do the things i used to enjoy Golf, Cycling my Cardiologist has me on 10mg bisoprolil and has upped the Disopyrimide to 400mg i have found i can not live with the side effects of 400mg Disopyrimide and have gone back to 200mg my doctor mentioned a procedure of surgical myectomy as a possibility if i could get used to the stronger dose of disopyrimide i have massive obstruction i think 3cm and pressure could you tell me what a Myectomy would involve.

Nurse Maureen Talbot

by Nurse Maureen Talbot on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:14 am

Re: surgical myectomy

Hi Rowland,

A surgical myectomy is performed through open heart surgery and usually involves resection to relieve the obstruction to the blood flow from your left ventricle. As you are probably already aware it is a significant undertaking especially if your health has deteriorated, but your cardiologist will explain the risks and benefits of the procedure to you to help with your decision. Recovery from any type of open heart surgery can be two to three months as the surgeon needs to cut through your breastbone. My understanding is that if it is successful it can allow a significant improvement in quality of life.

Another option though is to split your increased dose of Disopyrimide over the course of the day which you may find easier to tolerate or discuss with your doctor the option of taking the slow release form of the medication which may allow you to tolerate a higher dose. If you'd like to know more about having heart surgery and what it involves you can check out the publications section on our website at bhf.org.uk

All the best

Maureen
Nurse Maureen Talbot
Nurse for British Heart Foundation

rowland2010

by rowland2010 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Re: surgical myectomy

Many thanks for your prompt reply. Rowland 2010

3 posts