flare-up

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
sianiexx

by sianiexx on Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:08 pm

flare-up

Hi there, my name is Sian and I'm 17 years old. Excuse me if this isn't done in the correct way...I'm new!

I was diagnosed with eczema nearly 6 years ago and it was very mild. I've been prescribed Hydrocortisone cream ever since then. However as I've got older, my eczema has spread to other places. I particularly suffer on my face, my ears and my scalp. I'm starting to really stress about it - I'm due to be my sister's bridesmaid and I feel so self-conscious of the big scaly patches that are beginning to form on my arms and back.

The hydrocortisone that I was prescribed helped in the first few years. However, its now beginning to make my skin oily and therefore my eczema becomes wet and very sore. Are there any solutions that anyone could let me know, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks guys :)

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:21 am

Re: flare-up

Hi!

During puberty, the hormonal change can affect eczema, and there is increase of oily (sebaceous) glands so not due to hydrocortisone making your skin oily (perhaps!). An extract of my interview with dermatologist on my blog on teen eczema, may be relevant to you:

In a person with eczema and acne, it is important that if he applies steroid creams to his face for his eczema, he avoid applying them over the acne-prone areas. This is because steroid creams can make the acne worse. Alternatively, he can use creams like Tacrolimus or Pemecrolimus to control his eczema as they are non-steroidal in nature and do not aggravate acne.

Do see a dermatologist, hugs!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Freddy17

by Freddy17 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:01 am

Re: flare-up

HI

My name is Freddy im also 17 suffer from awful eczema. All over my face, back,neck,arms,wrists,hands very dry painful and it was really starting to make my life a misery. I tried every cream going and only recently have i found the cure!! When i say i tried everything i mean literally everything until one day my mum suggested a chinese herbalist. I was reluctant to try it as i thought it was just ballshit. I've had one session of acupuncture and have been drinking chinese herbs for about 5 days once in the morning and once in the evening. I was also given a special cream to put on. My eczema has never been better. Its completely gone from my face and back. My wrists and arms have improved significantly and continue everyday to get better. I seriously recommend going to a chinese herbalist its not cheap but it is so worth it. Im so much happier as a result and its only been a week. Today was such nice weather and it was so nice to be able to take my jumper off and wear just a t-shirt without feeling self conscious. I know what its like to have terrible eczema and it is the worst thing constantly worrying about if your face looks all flakey and covering up your arms from everyone. Hope you try it and have the same result as i have. Good Luck

3 posts