Microgynon advice

Ask our experts all your questions about the different types of contraception, emergency contraception and what to do if something goes wrong.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Tash188

by Tash188 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:56 pm

Microgynon advice

I have been on microgynon for just over a year now. Before that I was having the depo injection. I changed as I was putting on a lot of weight and it was making my periods a lot heavier. I'm in my 2nd week of taking the pill and have had bleeding on every other day. I haven't missed any or taken them late. I was put on this pill to try and control my bleeding as I suffer with endometriosis. Is this pill the best one to be on or should I look into one you take continuously?

Dr Richard Ma

by Dr Richard Ma on Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: Microgynon advice

There are several reasons for your bleeding pattern.

It may be the effect of the depot injection; it may take a few weeks for the effects of the depot to subside.

Other reasons for abnormal vaginal bleeding could be sexually transmitted infections, smear abnormality or other anatomical reasons such as a small polyp or fibroid (both of these are harmless). If you have not had a check up, I suggest you see your doctor or attend a sexual health clinic so that these checks can be done.

If you are taking any other medication that might interact with the contraceptive pill, it may give you irregular bleeding too.

It may too early to judge if Microgynon may help with your endometriosis. If you have no joy after 3 months, there are other pills with different types and strengths of hormones that might help to control your pain and bleeding. Sometimes it is a matter of trial and error.

I suggest you have a chat with your doctor or nurse at your surgery or sexual health clinic if you are concerned.
Dr Richard Ma
General Practitioner

2 posts