Smells

Post your questions about Fibromyalgia here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
lukibird

by lukibird on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:38 am

Smells

I have smell issues mostly about myself but also with egg white, chopped onion and dog pee!
When I get undressed the smell of me makes me nauseous but nobody else can smell it. Also when I go to the toilet even just for a wee the smell is horrible. Is this normal?

pam stewart

by pam stewart on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:52 am

Re: Smells

People with FM can have an over sensitivity to many environmental factors - light, heat, noise and smells.

Sometimes recognising that it is just that may help cope with the symptom. Usually avoidance is the answer but that would be impossible for you for most of the symptoms you mention.

Ask you GP if you can be referred any where to help you cope with this. Psychological session might help.
Pam Stewart
Fibromyalgia Association UK (Chair)

good2talk

by good2talk on Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Re: Smells

HI im with you on the heightened awareness thing..smells,noises,bright lights in shops for example, any temperature fluctuations etc theres quite a list..ha I struggle to eat/prepare meals as the smell of food is too much for me and i end up feeling sick..If im on a bus i often have to switch seats and try and remove myself from a speciific smell coming from someone, that noone else would probably notice.. as it makes me nauseas. I often have to clear my fridge as something smells too strong and makes me nauseas.. Its not just smells with me its the other senses too Ive had to change any clocks i had in the house to silent sweeping hands type as i could hear the ticking of a wall clock out in the hallway from my bedroom with the door closed. I cant have a ticking watch either.Any repetitive beat or words repeated in a song makes me feel really on edge and feel like my head will explode.. and i have to get away from it. If the sun goes behind a cloud even for a brief minute i goosepimple up immediately and am frozen..even if i was nice and warm a second before this. Cold affects me badly, once i get a slight hint of being cold thats me and no amount of extra clothing, hot drinks, hot water bottles ,showers etc will warm me up. So this warm spell we had recently was a godsend. How about other folks did the sunny weather help? It helped my pain but made my cfs exhaustion more pronounced..but i can take that, just to get a little pain relief.

***ooops i didnt read the rules...apologies.. "We would kindly ask that patients do not attempt to answer other patients questions & queries and instead leave them for our expert panel to answer."

3 posts