pyoderma gangrenosum

If you have questions about skin conditions other than those listed below, please create a new topic in this sub-forum and ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
juliewho

by juliewho on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:04 am

pyoderma gangrenosum

Hi, i have had pg diagnosed since 2009, but i believe it started in 2000 on my stomach.In the period from 2000 to 2009 i had many debribments and one skin graft,on average the uclers were happening about every two years and all apart from the first one were trauma related. Since being diagnosed and being on medication like methotrexate,prednisolone, minocyclin the relapses seem to be coming more often, it is now once a year with this last year being the worst,it was just seven months and the last two flares were not trauma related.I have had many test i.e bone marrow,colonoscopy ,haematological and endocriminological tests all apart from endocrim tests came back negative, the endocrim test showed that i now have diabetes 2 due to the steroids but upto 2011 my sugars had always been checked and were always good.My wbc is always high at about 17 to 24 .My dermatologist has now changed my meds to dapsone in june so don't what the coming months will hold.

q1 Any thoughts on the more frequent relapses.

Also just out of interest when i was seven i was bitten by a horse fly that gave me a ballon pus filled thing on my leg, took antibiotics for this. But the following year had another in the same place but my dad popped this with a needle, and was scarred by this one.Then when i was twelve went to spain and got badly burned and had many blisters.After this at about the age of thirteen started to get sores under the arms in the arm pitt but never went to a doctor to get it looked at, and suffered with this upto the first episode of ulcers in 2000.I am afraid i have never been very good at showing things to a doctor of a intimate nature, and have never showed my derm this.

q2 do you think that this has led to my over active immune system and is the route cause of my pg.

sorry it is so long and many thanks.

juliewho

by juliewho on Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:04 am

Re: pyoderma gangrenosum

thank you for the advice.

3 posts