Im addicted to Nicotine replacement products

If you have any questions about smoking and related issues please post them for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

9 posts
wombat1966

by wombat1966 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:30 pm

Im addicted to Nicotine replacement products

Hi,
Just wanted some advice. I am addicted to nicotine replacement products and have been for the past nine years. It's good in one way that I don't smoke but on the other hand I want to stop taking it because I fear it might damage my health.
I wondered if an expert could help out?
Thanks,

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: Im addicted to Nicotine replacement products

Hi Wombat, congratulations! You're a non-smoker!!

The hardest part of stopping smoking is replacing the smoking behaviour itself with new more constructive behaviour. Stopping smoking is a psychological battle rather than a physiological one.

So well done - you're no longer a smoker, you're a normal natural non-smoker!

This makes it easy. Nicotine isn't actually that addictive. Within 7 days (and most likely only 2, maybe even 1, and maybe not at all!) you WILL NOT be able to notice any cravings or withdrawals from the nicotine itself. Don't cut back bit by bit - you'll keep the nicotine monster alive for longer as it slowly gets weaker and cries harder for feeding - instead just stop - stop now! Nicotine is not really addictive at all. Just a small bit of willpower for less than a week and job done. Permanently.

Got a voice telling you that you can't? Flip it around. Every time you hear "you can't" then flip it to "you can". And then just stop now.

Have a look at the thread on habits too - I've given some good tips that will help out with the first day or two - only if required!

In fact - STOP NOW! You have access to me and other experts. Stop now, and check in again in a day or so, let us know how you are doing!
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Hey Helen, I hope you are well!

Although not a fan of these substitutes, I've done a little research into them, and the health effects aren't fully known yet, hence the move towards regulation of them. I'm watching with interest...and would love it if someone can come on here and update everybody!
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

wombat1966

by wombat1966 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:11 pm

Hi Helen and Gary,
Thanks for your replies. I will take on board what you said. I think one of the things I was concerned about was the length of time I have been using the products and would this in itself of been detrimental to my health?
Surely it can't be as bad as smoking? I just need to break the cycle.
I do think I do have an addictive personality which does not help but I hope I get there one day.
Bizarrely when I did smoke it was only about three a day where as now it can easily have 15 of the Nicorette microtabs a day.

I just feel so frustrated......

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:16 pm

Hi,

Frustration is anger held within. Anger happens when you or someone breaks your personal rules.

Please consider getting a bit of professional assistance - it will really help! You can ask the other experts here for advice too, and myself and Adam Eason (another hypnotherapist expert here) would be more than pleased to put you in contact with the right person in your area.

Instead of concentrating on the problem, stop, take a breath, and think "what do I need to do?" and just go ahead and do it? Why delay, change today ;)
Gary Turner

wombat1966

by wombat1966 on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:19 am

Thanks Gary and Helen,

Gary - I do think I need to give hypnotherapy a go ( I live in the Manchester area). I've never accepted I had a problem before. It was only when I typed it out on here it has made me accept that I do.

I am so grateful for your help by the way.

Wombat.

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:56 pm

Manchester - cool - I have a couple that can be recommended - pop me an email to gary@garyturner.co.uk and I'll get the contacts to you in confidence!
Gary Turner

9 posts