Lip eczema

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
emilie1991

by emilie1991 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Lip eczema

Hey everyone! :) Hope you're all good.

This is my first post - thought it'd be a good idea to exchange with some of you who have been struggling with what I was diagnosed with recently, eczema. Lip eczema, more precisely.

It all started about 3 months ago. After having applied a hydrating serum to my face before going to bed (mouth included), I experienced somewhat of a strange, tingling sensation on the lips. It didn't work me up too much and, having paid quite the price for the said serum, I decided to keep using it. (duh :roll: )

A few days later, I started to notice a drier patch on my upper lip, right side. I then decided to stop using the product and give it away! As days went by, my 'dry patch' became drier, and a second patch appeared on the outline of my bottom lip.

After having tried heavy use of lip balm, antihistamines, antifungal cream, sought advice from the chemist, the dryness persisted. I decided to hit my GP who diagnosed me with eczema. She prescribed me 1% cortisone ointment, which worked wonders but as soon as I stopped using it, the redness and dryness came back.

I decided to hit the GP again, seeing no maintained result. I was prescribed a second cream, this time betamethasone. Again, I am experiencing the same thing as before - my skin seems to behave with the use of steroid creams but it flares back up after a few days of regular hydration (lip balm). My use of lip balm is very thorough, I even apply argan oil on top of it at night to prevent it from drying and lock the moisture in.

I am at a loss for knowing what else to do. I'm quite upset about it, to be honest. It's just doing my head in and I don't know what else I can do.

Has anyone ever experienced this, or anything similar? What would you suggest? And also, how long do eczema episodes last?! :cry: Luckily for me, only my lips are affected. I know some of you might struggle with it a lot more than I do, and I sympathize with you so much!

Emilie

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:37 am

Re: Lip eczema

Sorry to hear of the lip rash.. it may or may not be eczema, so it's best to get a proper diagnosis. And sometimes once your skin get sensitive, rashes may be triggered even by products that you've been using. So may be best to stay off products for a while..or stick to lip balm with the least ingredient possible to reduce likelihood of triggering rash.

Take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

emilie1991

by emilie1991 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:17 pm

Marcie Mom wrote:Sorry to hear of the lip rash.. it may or may not be eczema, so it's best to get a proper diagnosis. And sometimes once your skin get sensitive, rashes may be triggered even by products that you've been using. So may be best to stay off products for a while..or stick to lip balm with the least ingredient possible to reduce likelihood of triggering rash.

Take care!
Hi!

Thanks for your reply :) Since then, no cosmetic products go on my lips (except for lip balm/argan oil). I carefully avoid the lips when applying face creams but still, the reaction seems to persist. It calms down and then flares up again. Steroid creams work a treat but are they really all that good? As soon as I go off them, the eczema comes back. Will it really get rid of it all at some point or is it just a temporary relief?

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:07 am

Think it's best to see a dermatologist as usually steroid creams may not be meant to go on the lips.. also consider going some patch testing to find out what's triggering the rash? Take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

4 posts