Pregnancy and baby epilepsy

If you have any questions for the experts about children with epilepsy please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
redmoomin

by redmoomin on Thu May 15, 2014 10:54 am

Pregnancy and baby epilepsy

Hi,

I'm 34 and currently 5 months pregnant - we planned to start trying 3 years ago and after scans and numerous neurologist visits was gradually taken off epilim.
Now I'm still seizure free after 3 years but was hoping for some advice on what comes next!
Thoughts on natural labour V c section as I was spoken to by my dr nurse about long labour/tiredness may bring on a seizure, and also any ideas for the baby ie pram with a let go brake, change nappies on the floor etc.
What do you think the chances are that the baby will have epilepsy?

Many thanks

Epilepsy Action

by Epilepsy Action on Fri May 16, 2014 8:56 am

Re: Pregnancy and baby epilepsy

Hi redmoomin

There's no reason why you would automatically have a c-section,just because of your history of epilepsy. It really depends on your personal circumstances. You could have a look at our Pregnancy diaries:
https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/pregnancy-diaries
to see how other women with epilepsy have been managed during pregnancy and labour.

We also have information about caring for an infant when you have epilepsy:
https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/caring-children

You can get information about pram brakes from
Remap
Telephone: 0845 1300 456
They have details on the Lanyard pram security system and they may be able to advise on other options.

Your baby has only a very small chance of inheriting your epilepsy. It raelly depends on what type of epilepsy you have. Have a look at our inheriting epilepsy information:
https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/inheriting-epilepsy

If you would like to speak with one of our trained advisers about your pregnancy and epilepsy, please call the Epilepsy Helpline freephone 0808 800 5050 or email helpline@epilepsy.org.uk

Kathy

Dr Hannah Cock

by Dr Hannah Cock on Fri May 16, 2014 10:41 am

Congratulations!
If you have been off medication for 3 years, and seizure free (unless I've misunderstood), then your epilepsy is clealry in remission/resolved, then I wouldn't consider you at extra risk during labour/delivery.

Seizures during delivery are extremely rare, even in women with uncontrolled epilepsy throughout pregnancy, and as you've already seen from Epilepsy Action, there is generally no reason not to aim for a normal dellivery. The only thing we often advise women who are at risk of seizures is to avoid pethidine (sometimes used for pain relief in Labour), but there is no problem/additional risk with gas and air (nitrous oxide), or epidurals if required.

If you do hav ea history of seizures being provoked by sleep deprivation/extreme tireness, the other thing to try to plan a bit is how you will cope with e.g. night feeds. If you are breast feeding (recommended) you might want to get a good breast pump and express so that your partner can help with at least some of the night feeds, and ensure you are well rested. (speaking from experience, I recommend this for all mums with or without epilepsy!).

good luck.
Dr Hannah Cock
Consultant Neurologist

redmoomin

by redmoomin on Fri May 16, 2014 11:08 am

Thank you both for the advice and reassurance, we are lucky enough that my mum is coming to stay for the first 3 months and my mother in law and sister in law live 5 minutes away, so we have a great support team at the ready!
I will be discussing the labour with my gynaecologist next Monday at our next scan, as we are living in South Africa at the moment it seems to be more popular/normal for the c section - but this is not really what we want.
But again thank you for your help

Andrew Kelso

by Andrew Kelso on Fri May 16, 2014 12:08 pm

Hi redmoomin

I agree wholeheartedly with everything that Hannah has said.

I particularly agree that epilepsy per se should not be a reason for you to have a c-section, although of course there may be other reasons that I'm unaware of. Ask around and try and find out if you can see a gynaecologist/obstetrician local to you who has an interest in the care of mothers with epilepsy - it wouldn't hurt to talk it over with someone else?
Dr Andrew Kelso
Consultant Neurologist at Barts Health NHS Trust

5 posts