Can I loose weight on a 2000 kcal diet?

Ask our experts all your questions about diet and dieting, healthy eating, nutrition and the best ways to either gain or lose weight.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Re: Can I loose weight on a 2000 kcal diet?

Hi Michelle,

The average woman (depending on her levels of activity) needs 2,000 calories a day to maintain her weight. In general, to lose weight you'd have to consume fewer than that number of calories a day - eating more than that usually leads to weight gain.

Rather than trying to count calories you could try cutting back on sugary, fatty, refined foods such as white bread, cakes, pastries, sweets and biscuits and replacing them with whole grains ( brown rice, porridge oats, granary bread) fruit and vegetables. Eat plenty of low-fat protein foods such as chicken, turkey, lean meat and fish - as these help to keep you feeling full for longer. Grill, steam, microwave or poach foods, rather than frying. Allow yourself one small 'treat' (e.g. a small bag of crisps or a biscuit or a few squares of chocolate) a day to help you to avoid the temptation to binge. Cut your portion sizes too - serving your meals on a smaller plate will help you do this.

Good luck! :D
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:59 pm

Re: Can I loose weight on a 2000 kcal diet?

Yes, is the simple answer. Though of course there isn't much information to go on in your post ;)

Not that I like counting calories - it is impossible to be accurate outside of a laboratory. Even the World Health Organisation advise against counting calories for that reason.

Don't think of calories - they are a misdirection. Think instead of the molecules of food that hold those calories - that is where the weight and volume is. Think of the quality of food you are eating. Just eating only natural whole food properly prepared will be of a massive benefit straight away.

Give that a go...
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

3 posts