What else can I do to lose weight?

Ask our experts all your questions about diet and dieting, healthy eating, nutrition and the best ways to either gain or lose weight.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:57 pm

Re: What else can I do to lose weight?

Hi,

You say you're at a healthy weight - but have you actually worked out your BMI? To calculate your BMI divide your weight in kilograms (kg) by your height in metres (m) then divide the answer by your height again, or use this NHS BMI calculator http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/Healthywe ... .aspx?Tag=

If your BMI is between 18.5-24.9 you are a healthy weight. Below 18.5 means you're underweight and 25 or above means you're overweight and at a greater risk of weight-related health problems such as diabetes, heart disease & stroke.

Your diet sounds pretty good - but are you eating a lot of refined carbohydrate foods such as sweets, white bread, cakes and biscuits on your 'cheat' day? Refined carbs are more easily converted into glucose (sugar) than whole grains, so they don't keep you full for as long and you're more likely to overindulge in them. Also, if you don't burn off the glucose, the body stores the excess as fat - especially around the middle.

I know you go to the gym regularly - but like meany of us you do sit for a long time at work. Perhaps you could try to fit in a short walk each day on your lunch break? Also, get up from your desk every couple of hours - even just 5 minutes spent walking around the office or going to make a cuppa in the kitchen will add up to 20 minutes of activity in an 8 hr working day and 1hr 40 mins in a working week.

If you're not overweight I would still check that you're not overdoing the refined carbs etc and aim to be more active during the day.

Finally, excessive stress causes us to release hormones such as cortisol - which encourage the body to store calories as fat around the middle to provide energy for the body's 'fight of flight' response to stress. So if your job is stressful aim to find ways to relax each day - for example by deep breathing, meditation, getting outdoors or even just making time for yourself to do something you enjoy.

I hope this helps.
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:06 pm

Re: What else can I do to lose weight?

Practical advice.

Eat only when hungry. Stop eating when no longer hungry. Drink only when thirsty.

Eat natural whole foods properly prepared. Look to foods that are highly nutritious compared to the energy they contain.

This will ensure that your body is not deficient in either energy or nutrients. Your body will have what it needs. This will free you up to use some of the stored energy and molecules in your body - your fat depots - to fuel your workouts.

To get clever with utilising fat as an energy source you need to release it from storage, and then use it so it doesn't get stored again. To do this train on an empty stomach - at least 3-4 hours after a light meal...this allows the body to go from 'storage mode' to 'release mode'. Start your workout with high intensity effort - weight training, high intensity training, high intensity interval training...this will release lots of the stored fat. You then need to use it, and this is where the cardio work comes in nicely. Think moderate intensity work to use the fat as your energy source...

In respect to training, don't think about the 'calories being used'. Instead think about the source of that energy that is being used, and you'll want it to be fat, and that is what my previous paragraph will achieve.

What do you think?
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

3 posts