popcorn

If you have or suspect you have a food allergy, whether it's an allergy to dairy, wheat, fish, shellfish, nuts or something else, ask our medical experts all your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
gemb2087

by gemb2087 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:55 am

popcorn

Hi
I have been eating popcorn for many years and never had any problems however, about two years ago
I noticed every time I ate popcorn I was getting mouth ulcers it was not just one ulcer there was quite a few
and felt like they were at the back of my throat and on both sides of my mouth and tongue, they were very painful.
I got them when I ate plain popcorn, sweet and sweet & salty
Is this classed as an allergy and is there anything else i should look out for foodwise?

Many Thanks
Gemma

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: popcorn

painful mouth blisters are usually not a manifestation of food allergy. If you can eat corn on the cob and corn salads then you are unlikely to be allergic to corn (and popcorn)
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

gemb2087

by gemb2087 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:09 pm

Thanks for replying to me,
I can eat corn on the cob fine with no mouth ulcers,
So do you know what would be causing this as I only get them when I eat popcorn?
Many thanks

Dr Faheem Latheef

by Dr Faheem Latheef on Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:04 pm

Dear Gemma, although painful mouth ulcers are not a common allergic response (as Dr Rutkowski already pointed out), recurrent mouth ulcers have been reported with certain types of allergies to foods and flavourings. Are the popcorns you are referring to microwavable ones? Does it happen if you use plain popcorn where you use a pan and oil? Some of the microwavable ones can have added flavourings or in addition to the corn contain dairy or soya. It may be worth checking to see if all these types of popcorn that cause you problems have some common ingredient and in some cases it may even be the oil used.

Foods that have been reported to cause mouth ulcers include some of the following: flavouring agents, essential oils, cinnamon, gluten and wheat flour, cow's milk, coffee, chocolate, potatoes, figs, cheese, nuts (peanuts, almonds in particular), citrus fruits, certain spices, strawberries and tomatoes.

Hope you manage to figure it out- good luck!
Dr Faheem Latheef
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer, MBCHB, MRCP (London), MRCP (Dermatology), MBA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... atheef.php

gemb2087

by gemb2087 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:22 pm

Thanks for your reply,
It's not the microwave ones, it's just shop bag cinema style popcorn plus I also get it if I eat
Popcorn from the cinema, I will check the ingredients see if there is a common one.

Thanks again
Gemma

5 posts