48…

If you are an adult with allergies and have a question for our experts, please post it here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
JustJayne01

by JustJayne01 on Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:45 am

48…

That's how old I was when I had my first experience of anaphylactic shock after eating kiwi at work. My lips itched, followed by swelling, when I awoke the following morning I was covered in hives and itching like mad. With steroids and antihistamine the swelling went but the hives stayed for three weeks!
Two years later I awoke with my bottom lip swollen, no idea what I had eaten or drunk and it was an emergency visit to the hospital. That too took three weeks to settle.
As a child I got what my mum called heat lumps, could they have been hives?
Why, have I started with allergies at my age?
I'm 57 now and not had as severe a reaction to anything since 2010, but it's always at the back of my mind. I started with hayfever at 27 and eczema at 46.

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:54 pm

Re: 48…

you seem to have recurrent urticaria (hives) and angioedema (swelling). treat with high dose cetirizine or loratadine (over the counter drugs) 1-4 tablets a day till swelling goes

You did not have an anaphylactic shock to kiwi ( it has to cause low blood pressure. dizziness/collapse, shortness of breath etc) . Moreover single exposure to food would not have given you 3 weeks of hives. You are most liklely not allergic to kiwi in view of your recurrent urticaria.
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

2 posts