Peanuts

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
allergymomma

by allergymomma on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:40 pm

Peanuts

Hey everyone. My son is away for his freshman year of college and I go crazy worrying about his peanut allergy. NOW, he is talking about studying abroad next fall. I am falling apart. I'm actually still looking into those medical alert bracelets. He ruled out the necklaces. I need companies that sell the Medical Alert bracelets but I was really hoping to find first hand reviews! I want to know that they are reliable. Any experience with anything like this?

treeshrub

by treeshrub on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:34 am

Re: Peanuts

A medical braclet is a good thing, they are recognised around the world, my sister has one and it is great.

Dr Mich Erlewyn-Lajeunesse

by Dr Mich Erlewyn-Lajeunesse on Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:16 pm

Re: Peanuts

Now your son is a teenager he should be taking over responsibility for his food allergies. This can be a worrying time for parents, especially when the allergy sufferer does not remember having a reaction, as it occurred when they were much younger. Skin prick testing can be very useful in this situation as it is visible reminder of persistent allergy. You should discuss this with your allergist.
Your son might want to have a look at http://www.whyriskit.ca a website for young people with food allergies written by young people with food allergies.
In the UK, the Anaphylaxis Campaign are running a series of workshops for teenagers with food allergies and their parents to address some of the issues. Check out their website and become a member to keep up with developments.
As for medic alert bracelets - they are not a replacement for a good understanding of risk and avoidance.
Dr Mich Erlewyn-Lajeunesse
Consultant Paediatrician - BSc MBBS DM FRCPCH

3 posts