Allergic to all metals

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

8 posts
Polly_P

by Polly_P on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:19 am

Allergic to all metals

Hi

I'm Polly and i am allergic to all metals. It started when i was about 14, i had my ears pierced the year before and had no problems but when the holes closed up i had it done again. I had so much weeping and the itchiness was unbearable. I assumed it was the earrings so changed them for gold and the problems continued, i then got sterling silver that were nickel free and the problem stayed the same.

I then noticed my watch and my jeans were irritating my skin as well. Then i couldn't wear bracelets or necklaces for long without a reaction. I get itchy, sore lumps that resemble tapioca and weep.

I am now very sensitive and can only use certain knives and forks as others leave my lips swollen and if i ever get married i won't be able to wear a wedding ring with i know is superficial but it bothers me.

Does anyone know if there is anything i can use, i currently cover jewelry etc with clear nail polish which works but wears off quickly. Also does anyone else find they are allergic to all metals?

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Re: Allergic to all metals

Hi have you had allergy tests, I am allergic to nickle and struggle with many metals. I cannot wear 9ct gold but i can wear 14 and 22 ct gold. higher the number the more pure the gold x
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Polly_P

by Polly_P on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:03 pm

Hi Anna,

Thanks for your reply. I have never been offered allergy tests the doctor just accepted my word that all metals that i have tried have reacted with me and told me just to avoid it where i can.

Are allergy tests something i should have done then?

TashaDownton

by TashaDownton on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:04 pm

I realise that Polly wrote earlier in the year but hope that I am not too late to help her or others who might see this. I am part of a very allergic family and one of our issues is with nickel allergy. When my daughter wanted to have her ears pierced I didn't want her to have the same allergic reactions that I do and I started to look into earring allergies. It has resulted in our family setting up a small online business called Delicate Earrings Ltd specifically to sell low-allergy earrings for sensitive skin. Amongst other things we sell metal free earrings made from medical plastic with pretty Swarovski crystals. I may be too late but if you have yet to find somewhere to buy pretty earrings which don't give you sore ears then please do to give us a try. We have lots of happy customers :D

steflikcb

by steflikcb on Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:18 pm

Hi Polly,

I would definitely get an allergy test for the metals. It would be good to know what metals you are truly allergic to and be able to avoid. I personally am allergic to nickel, not just touching but also in food, so have to be on a low-nickel diet which is no fun, but has improved my health greatly. I wish you the best and hope you are able to find out what you are allergic to so you can avoid it and be healthier. Also, as far as the wedding ring, they make a lot of jewelry that eliminates the metal you might be allergic to, or you can get a ceramic one.

kayaaman

by kayaaman on Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:08 am

I have been having the same issue ever since I started wearing my wedding band last year after my. Were you able to find a solution for this rash? I am close to going to a skin doctor to find out what is going on. I am going to a this summer, so hopefully there will be some people I can talk with about this issue there.
Last edited by admin on Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL advertising products removed - not permitted - see forum rules

cmetryme

by cmetryme on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:25 pm

Polly, thanks for putting this out there.
I too have what you are experiencing, but much worse. I have had this since I was nine yrs old. I am now 51 yrs old. I now have a reaction to stainless steel too. If I get within 15 ft of it, it sends a taser like shock to me.
At this point I pass out if I'm around stainless for more than 10 minutes. All doctors have told me they have never seen this before and are not willing to help me. The pain level is a 7 when this happens. I see you don't say u have any pain with yours. I am looking for people that have metal allergies so I can get help/funding for research into this problem.
If you know or anybody knows of people or a treatment for this please contact me;-)

Sabrina Angela

by Sabrina Angela on Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:43 am

Hi Polly my name is Sabrina. I'm also allergic to all metal and it gets really frustrating. Something that I do is that if you take clear nail polish and coat the entire price of jewlery, you won't have a bad reaction. Sometimes if you are wearing it while you sweat it could fade so you could choose one day a week where you reciat the jewlery. That trick really helps me and I hope this is helpful to you too.

8 posts