Baby Food & allergies

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
nicoleruby4

by nicoleruby4 on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:35 am

Baby Food & allergies

Is there any single ingredient that my baby would be allergic to in baby food that would cause flare ups/allergic reactions? Frustrated to the max....I've had reactions with apples and sweet potatoes for sure....

Justine Greenwood

by Justine Greenwood on Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Re: Baby Food & allergies

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you are having a very trying time at the moment and I can understand your frustration.

First of all, please can you give me a little more information as to what symptoms and reactions your baby is experiencing? Symptoms typically affect the skin, the respiratory system and the gut. Does your baby have any symptoms that concern you?

The symptoms of an immediate food allergy include:

•A flushed face, hives, a red and itchy rash around the mouth, tongue or eyes. This can spread across the entire body.
•Mild swelling, particularly of the lips, eyes and face.
•A runny or blocked nose, sneezing and watering eyes.
•Nausea and vomiting, tummy cramps and diarrhoea.
•A scratchy or itchy mouth and throat.

Secondly, have you spoken to your GP about this, and what has been there advice? If you haven't already, I would book an appointment with them to discuss these reactions and their management.

Unfortunately, I can't name you a single ingredient as there are many triggers than can cause reactions or flare ups. Keeping a diary of the ingredients in the baby food and the types of reaction your baby has may help you identify these triggers. Doing this in preparation for your GP appointment would be greatly beneficial.

The Allergy UK website also has lots of useful information about allergy in babies which you may find useful. https://www.allergyuk.org/childhood-foo ... d-children

Best wishes,

Justine
Justine Greenwood
Learning and Development Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... enwood.php

2 posts