Extreme Diarrhoea

If you have questions about constipation or diarrhoea please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
savvysaver

by savvysaver on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:52 pm

Extreme Diarrhoea

I have been having problems with my bowels for almost half of my life , I had a Hysterectomy at 24 and ever since my bowels have been unpredictable .
When I open my bowels my movements are always Very Soft /Watery usually with mucus , I get incredible pain if I don't go immediately I feel the need , and when I do go its one Fart and its all over . I have tried changing my diet eating more fibrous foods but this isn't helping . I am slightly concerned that both my mother and maternal grandmother died of stomach /bowel Cancers .
I feel like a fake talking to my GP about something like this as the NHS is over stretched already and I don't want to waste his time or their money

Dr Neil Galletly

by Dr Neil Galletly on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:03 pm

Re: Extreme Diarrhoea

First of all, you should never feel bad about going to see your GP if you have concerns about your health - its what doctors and other healthcare professionals are there for!

It sounds as if you would benefit from some tests to see if there is an easily treatable cause for your soft stool. Blood tests (for example to look for coeliac disease) and poo tests to look for inflammation in the gut (faecal calprotectin test) and the level of your pancreatic enzymes (faecal elastase) would be a good first start and your GP could easily arrange these.

As for your family history of cancer, again it would be sensible to speak to your GP. Bowel cancer is unfortunately common (it is the third most common cancer in women) and most cases are due to 'bad luck' rather than 'bad genes'. But some cases do run in families and your GP will be able to advise you if you need any tests - and at what age you should have them. A lot will depend on your age now and the age that your mother and grandmother were diagnosed with the disease.

Best wishes!

Neil Galletly
Dr Neil Galletly
Consultant Gastroenterologist - MA MBBS FRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... lletly.php

2 posts