Healing scars on legs and arms

Read the questions and experts responses about itchy scars here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
harryetta33@hotmail.com

by harryetta33@hotmail.com on Fri May 19, 2017 11:39 am

Healing scars on legs and arms

I have many scars forming on my legs and forearms from a currently undiagnosed skin condition. The scars are forming where I had small ulcers all over my legs and arms. They ate red raised scars and are very itchy and painful. Is there anything I can do to help them at the moment as I scratch on a night whilst asleep and they end up open and bleeding again.

Many thanks

Wendy

Mr Ioannis Goutos

by Mr Ioannis Goutos on Mon May 22, 2017 8:55 pm

Re: Healing scars on legs and arms

This sounds very distressing and I think the main focus would be to try and get a diagnosis in the first instance,since this might have an effect on what treatment options you have at your disposal as a patient.
While a diagnosis is being reached upon, I would recommend you use a cool moisturiser (kept in the fridge) avidly over the day and at night cover the affected body parts with a cotton non irritant garment to prevent you from scratching while asleep.

Best regards,
Mr Ioannis Goutos
FRCSEd(Plast), MSc Burn Care

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... goutos.php

harryetta33@hotmail.com

by harryetta33@hotmail.com on Mon May 22, 2017 10:51 pm

Re: Healing scars on legs and arms

Many thanks for your reply. I have found out today from dermatologist that he believes I am suffering from allergic eczema the cause is unknown at the moment and they are trying different ointments to see if they help. I'm unsure if these ointments will help with the itchy scares also but hope so.

3 posts