What can I do?

Post your questions about acne here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:53 am

What can I do?

Question from Andrew:
I’m 15 and get really bad spots and whiteheads. I’m a boy so it’s really difficult as I can’t cover them up like girls with make-up. I try not to pick the spots but when I wake up in the morning and there’s a huge whitehead spot I can’t resist as I think it looks less ugly if the whitehead is gone. But then I sometime get the spot infected. I’ve tried loads of different products but nothing is really helping. It’s so embarrassing. What can I do?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:37 pm

Re: What can I do?

Dear Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to post a question, your skin sounds like it is giving you a really hard time and affecting your confidence. If you have tried various over the counter skincare products already and are still regularly breaking out then I strongly advise that the time has come to seek some medical help.

I highly recommend you make an appointment to see your GP who will be able to give you prescription tablets (e.g. antibiotics) and creams to try and settle the whiteheads and other spots. If your GP is concerned that you are developing some skin scarring they can refer you to a dermatologist who may be able to give you some stronger oral medication.

I know you will have heard this a hundred times before, but please try to pick at your spots as there is a really high chance you may be left with scarring of your skin. It sounds to me that you have tried a lot of skincare products already and I would encourage you to see a doctor. You shouldn't have to be suffering with your skin in this way.

Good luck and i hope things improve,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

2 posts