Moles&other marks when to worry, best factor SPF the face

Post your questions about skin cancer and moles here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
katato13

by katato13 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:09 pm

Moles&other marks when to worry, best factor SPF the face

This is probably a question you get all the time but we're all a Moley bunch in our family! And an uncle of mine has just gotten over skin cancer on his face (he's an old school gardener and never used SPF) and when you see the state it has left him in after his ops it does get you more paranoid and conscientious of your own skin!

Firstly my partner has an ever growing dark mole on his back, he's not one to go to the drs when would be the time to get it looked at?

Secondly, My dad has had throat cancer and completed his radiotherapy a few weeks ago, he also has sleep apnea and so had to wear a mask at night. Since all of this he has started to come out in large looking age spots on his face (he's late 50's) and a grey looking bump where the edge of the mask sits on his cheek that recently started to weep a little and looked grainy when it stopped, is this something to be concerned about?.

And lastly for a general question, what would be the ideal SPF to use in the face in our British weather, so that I can make sure everyone's using the right stuff?

Dr Juber Hafiji

by Dr Juber Hafiji on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:55 pm

Re: Moles&other marks when to worry, best factor SPF the fac

Hi there!
Firstly I think your partner should see his GP to have the mole on his back checked.
With you father's history, I too think he ought to have his checked out too. Perhaps father and son can go together if they are local?
I recommend minimum SPF 30 but SPF 15 in cosmetics would be OK. Having some sun protection is better than having none! It really depends on what activity your skin type. So if you are a red head with freckles and work as a life guard on a beach in Australia, then clearly SPF 50 would be the way to go!

All the best!

Dr Juber Hafiji
Dr Juber Hafiji
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson - MB ChB, FRACP, FRCP, FACMS

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... hafiji.php

2 posts