Changes in moles

Post your questions about skin cancer and moles here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Frenchygem

by Frenchygem on Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:46 am

Changes in moles

What do yo need to look out for on your moles to know it's time to see a doctor

Dr Juber Hafiji

by Dr Juber Hafiji on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 am

Re: Changes in moles

Hi there,
Any mole that changes in size, shape or colour or if it is itchy, bleeding or there is a change in sensation, then you ought to have it checked out.
If you have a family member who has had a skin cancer and you have quite a few moles, it always best to have a skin check by your GP or a dermatologist.
Go to www.bad.org or www.dermnetnz.org to get more information regarding what to look out for.
All the best!
Regards
Dr Juber Hafiji
Dr Juber Hafiji
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson - MB ChB, FRACP, FRCP, FACMS

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... hafiji.php

purple painkiller

by purple painkiller on Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Can you please tell me the difference between freckles and moles. I have had a small browish spot on the side of my hand for as long as I can remember. Every year or so it swells and sort of falls off and there is another spot underneath. Admittedly I do pick at it when it swells because it gets itchy. There's a lot of worry about moles, does this sound like something to be concerned about?

Dr Juber Hafiji

by Dr Juber Hafiji on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:17 pm

Hi there!

Freckles usually develop as a result of chronic sun exposure over the years.
Moles are growths which usually develop when your young and can grow and change with you. Of course the growth and change of a mole can be normal or cancerous.

From what you describe, it sounds like whatever the intermittent change you describe is a problem of the surface of the skin and the fact that it returns to the normal baseline colour suggests to me that there are no deep roots to it. I think you ought to see a GP or a dermatologist to have it checked out. Otherwise you will just worry about it the next time it flares up!

All the best!

Dr Juber Hafiji
Dr Juber Hafiji
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson - MB ChB, FRACP, FRCP, FACMS

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... hafiji.php

4 posts