eczema treatments

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

Medication for eczema

Postby HaytchJones on Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi there

I have suffered all my life with eczema, I am now 23. It comes in different extremities, currently I am suffering horrendously and have been signed off work for three weeks.
I am being seen by a dermatologist and she has given me a choice of three tablets to take:
Cyclosporine
Azothrioprine
Methotrexate

After researching these, they all seem very strong and extreme tablets. I am just wondering if anybody has had any experience taking any of these medications? Any advice would be great.

Thanks! :D
HaytchJones

Re: Medication for eczema

Postby LouisB1989 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi,

I feel your pain.

For some reason mine decided to flair up really bad recently after being dormant for 20 + years! I've been on Methotrexate at the highest dosage which was 25mg if I remember correctly and i'm currently on Cyclosporine as the Methotrexate wasn't working. Don't be scared by the side effects. I didn't have any major problems. One morning my knees gave way as I bent down to grab something but thats pretty much the only issue I have had. Oh, and warm hands and feet which is an odd feeling.

The worst thing about these tablets is that I thought they were going to be a miracle cure but none of them have worked so far and the only thing that works for me are steroids. I've spent alot of time of time and money going back and forth to see numerous consultants. sorry to put a downer on this post but I dont want you to have unrealistic expectations.
LouisB1989