babies and children with eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, RosyHannah, Marcie Mom, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao, AnnaB

5 Year old with eczema - desperately in need help!

Postby laureny0107 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:40 am

My 5 year old has had pretty severe eczema since he was about one. It has got progressively worse the older he gets. He is currently under a dermatologist who prescribes steroid creams and wet wraps. Initially these helped but they no longer do. I HATE using steroid on him when he is so young. I have tried everything to food allergy tests, a variety of different lotions and potions but nothing seems to help. At the moment i bathe him every other day in extra virgin olive oil and after the bath cover him in shea butter . I apply this at least 4 times a day but his skin flakes off it is so dry. Does anyone has any suggestions??? Anyone know of any foods that trigger/not great for eczema? He doesnt have cows milk and very very very little sugar in his diet. I am so desperate to help him as he is awake every night, throughout the night scratching his skin and it breaks my heart. All suggestions very much welcomed. Thanks in advance
laureny0107

Re: 5 Year old with eczema - desperately in need help!

Postby Marcie Mom on Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:05 pm

Sorry to hear that.. I was wondering if allergy testing had been carried out for your boy? Maybe that would help to identify the triggers and make the routine that you're helping him with more effective. The other possibility is to look into ways to reduce staph bacteria - such as weekly chlorhexidine gluconate wash or bleach bath which would help to kill staph bacteria. The staph bacteria is pro-inflammatory and also reduces the effectiveness of the skin routine. Hope you'd find some relief soon and your family can enjoy some 'scratch-free' and 'stress-free' time, take care!
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/category/member-bloggers/meis-blog/
Marcie Mom

Re: 5 Year old with eczema - desperately in need help!

Postby jamielee on Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:59 pm

I don't know how well it's received around here, but the Aron Regime is meant for kids. It is a mix of steroid creams AND antibiotics. It's a bit controversial, as your opening up the whole can of worms for prolonged steroid use. Lots of parents swear by it, though.
jamielee