Driving restrictions / Contacting the DVLA
One of our members has spent many hours attempting to determine the most straightforward and simple way to inform the DVLA following your device implant.Your GP/Consultant will have informed you that for a period of time following the fitting of your device that you will be unable to drive.You must
inform the DVLA
The following list will help you through this task.
1. Phone the DVLA – Telephone: 0300-790-6806.
2. Select “Option 5” , this time you will be answered by a real person.
3. Answer all their questions.
4. The DVLA will then send you a form and reply envelope.
5. Return the form, with your driving licence, to the DVLA.
6. Request the return of your driving licence at appropriate time.
7. Providing that your doctor has certified that you can drive again after the requisite
period, you may drive again, it is not necessary to wait for the return of your licence
from the DVLA.
We must emphasise that this is the experience of only one of our members, and that the DVLA is continually updating/changing it’s requirements.
New members welcome to join ICDC Surrey. We are a patient support group based at St Peter’s Hospital, Chertsey, but we support patients with ICDs across all Surrey hospitals.